Thursday, October 8, 2015

Transitioning from Bad Boobies to Happy Hooters

The morning of surgery started with Jeff and I attending Mass for Calista.  She was receiving her Guardian Angel medal.  Connor received his last year, and I received mine a few years back when I was in first grade.  It was super sweet.  Then I took communion and thought I wrecked my fast before surgery. 

 
After Mass, Jeff and I made our way to the hospital.  Where I did my last handstand for awhile.
 
Then I scored a few selfies....
The man who loves me unconditionally

The sweet nurse, Natalee who answers all my annoying questions

Dr, Tiwari, the guy who fashioned my new hooters and suggested a duck face selfie
 

Dr. Miller, Cancer Assassin - aka Surgical Oncologist Specializing in breasts
 
Then, the anesthesia group came in and inserted a nerve block with a "pain ball."  That was some nice stuff.  This is were things get fuzzy.  This time I vaguely remember being wheeled back to the OR at 12:30pm.  Next thing I knew, it was 10pm and I finally woke up.  I think anesthesia did a great job of not having me wake up during surgery.  I heard people came and visited Jeff. I also found this on my Facebook feed:

 

 Apparently, someone enjoyed some beer and wings while I was sleeping.  Hmmm.....
 
When I woke up, it was not for long.  I had a lot more mobility in the arms than I anticipated. And I went back to sleep.  Until I was woken up by nurses every few hours.  Eventually, it was day break.
 
Jeff and I on Day 1 with my new Happy Hooters.
 
While I was getting checked out and discharged, Connor and CC were at football and cheer.  The game was a special one where the school was raising money to "Crush Cancer."  A fellow Mom had stickers made up for the boys helmets.  Here is Connor's:
 
Then the boys sent me this message...
 



 


Eventually, I came home.  Things were much better than I expected. Little did I know that Day 1 and 2 would be pretty great, from the residual medicine in my system, as well as the nerve block was still in.  Here is Day 1 picture from Home:
See that girl there? She has in 4 drains, she is holding her black pain ball bag, and has a lot of swelling going on. Soon, she will find out that narcotics for pain make her sick, and eating becomes a dream.
 
The first night at home, again a blur, the good meds were good.  Jeff took great care of me, well, I think he did.  I received a lovely care package from my college roommates who absolutely spoiled me!
 
But, I thank EVERYONE for all the prayers, good thoughts and everything!!!
 
OK, I will try to update more on Day 2, Hellish day 3, and catch up to current time. 

 
 


1 comment:

  1. I was so happy that Jayne shared your post with us! If you used Dr. Tiwari, then I imagine you had Dr. Manders, too. Dr. Tiwari was my doctor, too, and we loved him! I didn't take the pain meds, either. Not worth it! You are looking fantastic. Don't do things too fast - give yourself time to recover. Call me if you need anything! Krista

    ReplyDelete