View from my surgical oncologist's office
In keeping with my quest to be honest, this post will contain some lovely pictures. They are a bit graphic, but not obscene. This is not porn, it's post mastectomy selfies.
Day 2:
For half the day, I felt great. I decided it was time to see what things looked like. Here I am on the evening of Day 2.
Like the photoshop pasties I made? OK, so you can see Jeff holding my waist. I was still a little off balance. The top arrow is pointing to my drains I have 2 on each side. Closer look (from day 4) is this:
Yes, they are annoying. Their job is to pull fluid away from the new Hooters. The fluid goes down the tube and collects in these goofy balls that look like plastic grenades. I have to empty them twice a day, and chart the amounts. At first, My arms could not reach to the other side well, so Jeff helped me a LOT. But now, I can strip and empty my drains with no worries.
Also, you can see my incision on this second photo, it is healing nicely. To help with blood flow, I am on a nitroglycerin paste that I have to put over my stitches and nipples. It seems like no big things, but each treatment leaves me with a massive headache. I will deal with this stupid headache, as long as my skin keeps the blood flowing! Nothing like looking at the skin around your breast hoping it is not dying.
The second arrow is pointing to the clear tubing that was coming from my pain ball. I had a nerve block with leads in my back. Jeff had to remove it (pull little straws from my back) on Day 3. That pain block was very nice.
Third arrow is the apron my Mother in Law made for me. It had pockets to hold all 4 drains, my pain ball and a cell phone. That thing is coming in SO handy. Thanks again, Jayne!
You can also see swelling, a lot of swelling.
Soon after this pictures, all the good stuff wore off leaving me with my head in a bucket. Definitely not pretty to vomit.
Day 3 was a slice of hell. Nausea was the word of the day. Jeff was my savior that day, calling each doctor to try and get me some relief. By the end of the day, I was vomiting more, and decided to give up my pain pills. Those were causing more harm then good.
Day 4 was LOVELY!!! I was able to sit on the couch, and do some minimal things like, go through the mail! I was living large! Oh and that stool softener kicked in. Day 4 was definitely a turning point.
Day 5- Much better. See photo....
These are my first selfies in a bathroom. So excuse the back ground.
All in all recovery, has been OK. Sleeping is a bit of a challenge, but getting better everyday. I have stopped all meds except for the nipple cream and antibiotics, oh and the anti-nausea ear patch. I am still taking things slow and easy, and trying NOT to do things like clean, laundry, etc. I am focusing on healing.
As many of you know, the pathology report was due this week. The news is not that great, but not that bad. Looks like I get to visit an oncologist, and do a round or so of Chemo. So, this journey just got a little longer, while my hair might be getting a whole lot shorter...
PS- A shout out to ANYONE who ever made me do abs. My core strength has totally saved me for getting out of bed, the couch, everything. I can see if you have a weak core, this would be totally sucky. Mad props to every coach I had that insisted we learn how to get up off the ground without using our hands/arms. I am thankful for every forward roll to standing drill I have ever done. I'm amazed that all these little gymnastics "things" have followed me way past my days at the chalk box. These skills have made this recovery SO MUCH easier!

No comments:
Post a Comment