Your never prepared as much as you think you are.
Sitting in an oncologists office, listening all about your cancer, with your husband next to you, is an odd place to be. We both learned a lot. I keep learning more and more about the same cancer that was in me. It's like hearing the same news in a new light every time.
Dr. Cody is my oncologist- I liked him a ton. Turns out we both lived In Ypsilanti, Michigan. That immediately bonded us. It's pretty unique to find people in Cincinnati that lived in Ypsilanti, or that even know about Ypsi. So, I took that as my cosmic nod that I was with the right guy.
My cancer is/was Stage 1, grade 2. Stage 1 because it broke out of the milk duct, and was less than 2cm (I was at 1.8cm). He explained my cancer probably took 6 to 10 years to grow, and probably my infertility drugs had nothing to do with any of it. I am considered triple positive breast cancer, and he sees this as a great thing. The prognosis after this treatment is good. Really good. I could tell he felt the double MX was "overkill" in his opinion. For me, with all the information I had, I still do not regret that decision.
Back to chemo....
Did you know a chemo session takes like 4 to 5 hours? The hell?! In 4 to 5 hours I could be in Knoxville, half way to our Sunny Beach (Isle of Palms, SC). Frick. 5 hours?! Looks like I need to stock up on books and keep the iPad charged. I cannot drive home after a session, and I have to go back the next day for another shot.
Dr. C explained this is the stereotypical, icky chemo with all the super fun side effects. I will have 6 sessions, 3 weeks apart. It would be expected to feel like crap a couple days after a session. They want me to start next week. First, I have to get that darn port in.
Like I mentioned, in conjunction with the chemo, I will also be receiving the Herceptin. The Herceptin will continue for a full 12 months after my first session. At least THAT does not have all the chemo side effects.
So, I sit here with a fist full of prescriptions. Anti-nausea, steroids, a cranial prosthesis.... fun stuff. Of course, I read the cranial prosthesis script and thought, I need a helmet? What is that for? Jeff kindly explained it was for a wig... OHHHHHH.
I'm healing well. I did not tell many, but we had a minor scare last week with a doc thinking I had an infection. Things went all worst case scenario, it was mentioned the implant would need to be removed. For about 16 hours things were tense.... Luckily, it was determined that there was no infection and things were fine. Crisis averted!!
All in all, I am hanging on there. I have a TON of thank you notes to write. I appreciate all the prayers, cards, flowers, and everything. The amount of support for Jeff and I has been so overwhelming. Looks like with 6 sessions coming up, I may have to start taking people up on rides and child care. It's always hard for me to ask for help; Jeff and I tend to rely on each other. But, I need to try to keep his world and the kids world as normal as possible. So, if you have offered to help, I am going to have to woman up, and take you up on your offer.
Thanks again for everything guys!!
No comments:
Post a Comment