Wednesday, October 14, 2015

A Recipe For Cancer- Today's Update

Well, well... Here we go...

I had an interesting appointment with my Cancer Assassin (surgical oncologist).  Here are some details regarding my pathology...

Stage 2 (not grade)
Estrogen positive
Progesterone positive
HER2 POSITIVE

It's that HER2, that decided to be positive that messed up this "cute little cancer."  But, being HER2 positive, there is a specific recipe that I will follow to ensure we kill any other mutated cells or cells THINKING about mutating due to HER2.  As Dr. Miller explained, if I go to 100 oncologists, all 100 will treat this the exact same way.  At least my cancer has a proven treatment plan, so that is good news.

I have not met with the oncologist (who will dictate the recipe to me) my Cancer Assassin told me to expect the following.

First up, I have to heal.  Healing is step 1.  Right now, things look okay, but suspicious, so I am back on antibiotics 4 times a day.  That is a lot of damn pills. 

Step 2- Kim gets a chest port.  Apparently, this is a same day surgery kind of thing.  I thought this was an in office procedure, but a special x-ray is needed to guide the catheter.  Of course it needs to be placed properly, otherwise it could lead to a collapsed lung.  To quote some internet Meme, "Ain't Nobody Got Time for That." 

The guesstimate time line for this is early November. 

The reason for the port is so the chemo can be placed in there instead of blowing my arm veins making me look like a junky.  How long will chemo be? Not sure, I should have that answer next week.  But, it sounds like I will have an injection every 3 weeks for a year of Herceptin.  That should be awesome. 

Here is a little link to HER2 positive cancer treatments:
http://www.healthline.com/health/breast-cancer/her2-treatment-options#1

Step 3- Chemo
Step 4- Whatever that shot is for a year

Right, so this cancer thing is going to drag on for a while.  I hope you are all ready for a long, long ride....

And it looks like this is TOTALLY going to blow my plans of doing the Flying Pig 3 Way this year.  That has me the most pissed.  I will wait to hear from the oncologist, but Cancer Assassin is concerned it could lead to issue with the port- since that will still be in.  Something about repetitive arm motions can cause a blood clot.  So, like swinging my arm for mile after mile for days on end is not a good idea.  Damn.

Cancer is a total buzz kill.



No comments:

Post a Comment