Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Lucy the Port

Lucy, or Lucifer, the port is being a giant turd.  Before, I get too on a roll on how much it's being an asshat, let's review yesterday.

Jeff was kind enough to drive me to my procedure.  I hate the fact he is getting so comfortable at Christ Hospital, and more than "knows the drill."  It's getting to the point we recognize nurses and such.  I cannot believe I have had three surgeries in 1 month.  That is not including the biopsy from hell. 

A sweet nurse came in to start my IV.  Everything has to be done on my left side.  Since I had nodes removed, I cannot have blood pressures or blood draws on my right side.  The port had to go on my left side, since it is my non-cancer side.  For the rest of my life, my right and left will be described as my cancer and non-cancer side.

Anyway, IV nurse was sweet to say, "this will be your last IV stick in your arm for a long time!"  So, of course, I had to photo document it.
 
 
Here is my beloved with me. 
Hopefully the last time for a while we will be in this goofy little room.  I know we will be back.  But, not be until I get my new Foobies tweaked (i.e. Breast Revision surgery). 


Then I had a couple other visitors from Natalee and Dr. Miller. And I vaguely remember talking to Dr. Miller, the happy meds had kicked in.




All in all port placement went well.  Dr. Miller even was kind enough to draw me a nice tattoo on my dressings. (a happy face and my 13 chins)

See the dangling stuff, that will be attached to my chemo for tomorrow.  Since chemo is starting up, they were able to leave in a needle access so they do not need to do it again.  Those dangles are annoying. 

By last night, I felt as if someone punched me in the front and back of my shoulder.  Sitting up is OK.  But, leaning over or laying down-- HOLY COW.  That sensation is intense.  Hence why the port's name is Lucifer.  It's a slice of hell.  I'm sure Lucy and I will come to an understanding, but right now she hurts.  There are only specific positions my arm can rest in without an ache or pain.  I am guessing this must be how post shoulder surgery feels.  Right now typing, the laptop is on my lap, and that feels OK.  But, sitting at a desk typing- forget it--- PAIN.

Again this is temporary pain, I know it will heal and Lucy and I will learn to respect each other.  But, today she wins. I shall hold down the couch with Bailey and continue binge watching Sons of Anarchy.  The house will not get tidied up, laundry will remain in baskets... there is always tomorrow for all that crap.

Thanks again for all the love and support!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment