Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Days 7 to today!

I cannot lie.  The pathology report sent me for a little bit of a loop. More because of the fact this "little cancer" situation is dragging on longer than I had hoped.  But, I cannot really say that, I am assuming that.  Within the next 7 days, I have 3 doctor appointments, so by next week I should have a pretty good handle on what the next steps will be.  I am trying not to Dr. Google myself for chemo treatment options.  I see no use in that; it's definitely not going to help me playing more of the what if game. 

Right now the what if game has me thinking the following, what if chemo makes me sick? What if chemo makes me lose my hair?

You know, I was fine with cancer taking my boobs and giving me a new set of very swollen rocks on my chest.  I was cool with being "sick" but not looking sick or acting sick. I was cool with wading my way through this mess, but being able to keep it an arms distance from the kids. 

The word Chemo, makes it more real.  More a pain in my ass. Chemo means this isn't a cute "little cancer."  Chemo means I can't hide this from the kids as much as I want to.   Chemo means my cells were mutated in an evil, evil fashion.  Stupid cancer.

But, my story shows how tricky this stupid disease is.  Everyone seemed certain I would avoid chemo.  Apparently, my cancer fooled us all, including my Doctors.

Anyway.... Back to how recovery is going...

Friday (Day 7) was low key.  I had the appointment with my Plastic Surgeon.  They decided to remove 2 of my drains!  Talk about a weird feeling.  The drain is that flexible straw that is under my skin, right.  So, how do they take them out?  Cut the sutures and pull it out.  Yikes.  Thank goodness all my sensation is off.  It just felt weird.  Then he pulled off the steri-strips that were around my areolas.  Again, 0 sensation.  So, very weird. 

Day 8- Let's just go with Kim decided she was healed that day....

Day 9-  Kim's body reminded her she was NOT healed.  Day spent on couch watching football.

Day 10-  Lazy day.  I did go to the grocery store, with Mom and the kids.  The kids are adjusting to their new reality of needing to help and lift things for me.  I am BEYOND blessed they are willing to help me without question.  

On day 10, my sensation started really coming back.  Every nerve ending just was on hyper alert by the end of the day.  It all just felt weird.  As well as the one implant felt like it was rubbing on my sternum.  The sensitivity of  it all makes me a little nauseous.  If I do too much, I feel nauseous.  Apparently, my body has decided if it wants me to stop, let's make Kim nauseous.  It's a ball of fun.

Day 11- Much better.  However, I get to deal with the reality of paper work for short term disability stuff.  You would think asking folks to fill out and send back paper work would be easy? Nope.  So, that was fun stuff to deal with. 

Now, today, I have an appointment with my surgical oncologist.  So, I may have a little post to add later on today.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Kim. keeping up with your recovery and keep sending prayers and positive thoughts your way. Patti

    ReplyDelete