Wednesday, September 9, 2015

How to Make a Tattoo Guy Speechless

Where did we leave off.  Right the big black hole.  Anyway... Things are about to get a WHOLE lot of TMI (TMI means too much information for my parents that are reading).

Friday, we had to travel to the hospital Cancer Center to meet with the plastic surgeon.  The center was nice and relaxing, like walking into a spa.  Except, instead of a nice massage, you get a nice round of chemo.  I was by far, the youngest person in the room (and since Jeff is 9 months older than me, I was like the BABY in the room).  This jovial nurse called me back to get my vitals. He was a hoot, and helped me relax a bit.  He lead me to the scale where a love seat was placed on it and I was to sit on this giant chair for my weight.  At that moment, I knew I was not the normal person they see here. I'm young, healthy, and I have enough mobility to actually stand on a scale. But, there I was, I felt like a kid in this giant chair having my temp and blood pressure also taken.  I am shocked Jeff didn't snap a photo, as it was a site.  Then again, it was a reality check for us both that I am considered, "sick"  even though I feel fine.   There was an odd moment between Jeff and I that I knew he could feel how bizarre this all was.  Confident happy Kim, looking 100% out of place in this Cancer center in this giant chair.  It was a bit of a reality check.

Nurse man handed me off to nurse lady, a bubbling sweet 12 year old.  OK, she was MAYBE 25, but sweet as pie.  She confirmed our suspicions stating, "We don't see many people like you."  Yep, so we have been told.  I placed on my fashionable gown (and at the end nurse lady showed me the ugliest gown in the joint-- and it is hideous), of course it opened to the font. 

The nice plastic surgeon walked in, looking kind and smiling.  He jumped right in explaining all the types of reconstructions.  Since you all know me, I knew about most of what he was explaining, thanks to Dr. Google.  He started with a TRAM flap-  this is when they use part of your latissimus dorsi muscle to create a new breast.  I quickly explained to him, "No thanks."  Then I explained my background of gymnastics, yoga, diving, running, etc.  Like every appointment, that is when things changed.  He saw that I was active and not willing to let him take out my lats, I mean I do a hell of a handstand and lat pull down.  The idea of using that--- No thanks!

Then we discussed DIEP.  This is when they remove stomach fat to create new boobs.  This is the point in the appointment when I was ready to marry the nice doctor.  He said nice things like, "You really are a small person and don't have much fat there."  So, we used a very scientific technique to see if it would work.  He said, "Grab your breast with your right hand and your stomach area with your left-- which is bigger?  That would be all the fat we would have to work with." [And how many people reading this, just did that? Huh, I know you did!!!!]  Shit, that would make me an A cup or small B- that is not enough.  So, we decided that was out.  Plus, with all my crazy activities, he was concerned cutting into my abdomen- even though muscle is not touched, it could cause worse issues.  So, no tummy tuck for Kim.

Now we are at option 3. 
Since the breast surgeon thinks we can save my nipples (seriously, this is a cool as hell kind of thing), the good plastic surgeon thinks we can do an all in one. This means....Dr. Miller (breast lady), will remove all the breast tissue and cancer, but hopefully save the nips.  Then Dr. Tiwari would come in, weight the amount of tissue removed, and find a comparable implant to use.  Then, he would put in the implant (under the pectoral muscle), add a nipple, close up and done.   This is sometimes called an "all in one."  This would skip tissue expanders and all that jazz. 

BUT

there is a big BUT..... and not my BUTT

This procedure will only be able to happen if I avoid radiation. Otherwise, then we will take a break, have no boobs, do radiation, tissue expanders, and the process just gets longer. So, there is a plan B.

So. We need to avoid the "rads" -- that is what the cool kids on Breast Cancer websites call it.

The appointment all in all ended with a topless photo shoot, in which the doctor swears he will not loose his iPhone and that it is HIPPA complaint.  But, please if you see my current boobs on instagram, let me know.

Jeff and I left with a plan A and a plan B and hope for a new set of jugs.

-----------------------------------------------------

On Saturday, Jeff and I had a date day.  We went to the Reds game (last minute tickets, thanks to his Mom), to the Zoo (I was gifted a new Rhino glazed tile), and to the Tattoo Parlor.  Because, yes, incase my nipples fail me, I may need some new ones via a tattoo artist.  There are a few very gifted artists in Maryland and in Chicago (3-D Nipple Tattoo art, is a thing and about $800 for a pair of nips).  But, I thought I'd check with local people first. Since I did not have the kids, this was prime time to start researching.

Jeff and I walk into the Tattoo place.  Your stereotypical giant Tattoo artist with giant piercings, tattoos, and attitude, finally comes over.  He was bit gruff, like I am going to ask for a cute tattoo of an angry clown, or a butterfly with skulls on the wings.  I suggest he finish up a transaction of the girl who came with the dude wearing a "Harley Owner" leather vest. Harely and his lady left and giant tattoo guy was giving me the stink eye, wondering why a preppy looking girl was there.  Maybe I needed a Unicorn tattoo to celebrate being 40 or something. Here is the conversation:

Guy: " So you here for a tattoo?"
Kim: "Kinda"
Guy [insert eye roll]: "What do you mean kind of?"
Kim: "Well, I have breast cancer and I am looking for an artist that does 3-D nipple tattoos incase the doctor cannot save my nipples.  I know there are people around the country, but I thought I check with my local artists first."
Guy [insert foot in mouth] - ***The whole moment changes***
Guy #2 comes up hearing my story.

Guy #2 to Guy #1: "Do you feel comfortable doing that?"
Guy #1: "No."
Guy #2: "Can I refer her?"
Guy #1: "Absolutely."

So, Guy #2 gives me a bunch of information on an artist out of Dayton to check out. He does a lot of realistic tattooing. 

By the end of the exchange we are all laughing and the mood was totally different.  Hopefully, the next a "girl" who looks out of place that walks in there, they will take a moment and realize not everyone is there for just another bit of ink.

Well, this is a long enough post. I will finish up with the important information...

Friday, September 11th, is the day I say adios to a few Sentinel Lymph Nodes.  I go in around 1:30pm and surgery is a 3:50pm.  Please send all positive thoughts that every single one is CLEAR.  Pathology takes 3-5 days, so this will be a waiting game next week. Also, please say a prayer that I do not kill anyone due to be starved for all that time, no food or water after 12:00am?! What?! No coffee??  While you are praying, say a small one that I come out of anesthesia ok- I really suck at coming out of anesthesia. 

Thanks to everyone for all your kind positive thoughts and prayers.  We need some good vides sent to the nodes on Friday. The MRI showed them to be clear, but since this cancer is being sneaky, we need to be double sure.

Here's to clear nodes!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment