P is for Plethora!
Seriously, I love that 50cent word, plethora, myriad, verbose... OK, so I have like three 50 cent words in my vocabulary, but at least I have 3.
No, really, P is for Peony
When I was a little girl, my Gramma had 2 peony plants (Ha, HA! 2 P's for 1). I remember those HUGE blooms with the HUGE black ants on them. My Gramma would cut some blooms off, shake them down (to remove the ants) and then place them in a little bud vase in front of her statue of the Virgin Mary. Yes, my Gramma was one of those ladies who lit candles in front of her Virgin, offered up flowers, prayers, and said the rosary every Morning before stepping out of bed.
Gramma's peonies blooming always coincided with our grade school "Penny Fair" (a little school fair with simple games, a cake walk, white elephant booth, ect. By the time I was old enough to attend, it should have been renamed the Quarter Fair, now it's probably the Five Dollar Fair). Penny Fair was in May and (if you live in Southern Ohio) Peonies bloom in early to mid-May. I remember Gram giving me a beautiful peony to give to my first grade teacher, Sr. Dolores. I have no idea why I remember this so vividly, but I do. I was so excited and proud to share my Gramma's flower with my teacher. Gramma wrapped it in a wet paper towel to keep the stem moist. I gently walked the flower into school and proudly gave it to my teacher. Sister Dolores loved it, placed it in front of her Mary statues, and in turn gave me a little prayer card with the Virgin on it. May is the month of Mothers and for Mary in our church.
Back to the peonies... After those ant magnetics were done blooming, I recall my grand father cutting them back - his style. With the lawn mower. Now, knowing what I know about flowers, probably not the best method, but it was quick and worked. Those flowers bloomed every year until the plants were dug up. So, really, who am I to question his method?
Coincidentally - a big giant ASIDE- my Aunt gave me some Iris' and Day lilies for our yard last year. My Uncle pulled Jeff aside and said, "In the fall, cut them back. I use the lawn mower, makes it quick." To answer you question, YES, my Uncle is the son of my Grandpa. That apple did not fall far from that tree at all. :) Now, back to our story...
At the first house Jeff and I purchased, we had 2 peony plants that were on the back of the house. We both looked at those plants, groaned and mumbled something about, "Ugh, who wants those old lady plants?!" Promptly, we dug them up and left them to die in our woods. We discussed how old ladies, like my Gram, have those plants and they were not "cool" enough in a yard for a young newlyweds. Off they went and I never thought of them again.
With our current home, we inherited 2 more peony plants/bushes. Initially, I decided to let them live. At this time, my Gramma was slowly losing her fight with dementia; I identified those 2 plants with fond memories of her. That first winter we had in our home, Gram passed. Then next May, up came those peonies.
My Dad had given me a statue of the Virgin Mary, it's HUGE so it lives in our backyard. I went to our recycling bin, plucked out a Gatorade bottle, cut off some peony blooms and place them at the feet of my Mary. At that time, I said a prayer for D and the baby she was carrying (Connor). I said a prayer for my family and friends here and in heaven. I did this often, until the peonies stopped blooming. After that, I choose other flowers from my garden to enter my Gatorade vase to offer up to Mary.
This year my peonies bloomed again. They reminded me of this whole story I just typed about. Calista and I cut off a few blooms, Connor got me a cute clay pot (my Gatorade Bottle vase is LONG recycled). We walked them over to Mary and I said a little prayer of thanksgiving.
See, who knew the letter P would lead me to remembering such a silly little story. But, it reminds me of good times with my Gramma. A lady I know Mom and I miss everyday. A lady I wish my children could meet; but I know she already did meet my little ones while they were waiting to come to Earth.
No comments:
Post a Comment