Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving Day Race

Finally... Thursday, Thanksgiving Day 2011, we raced.  BOY did we race.

With my trusty partners, Calista and Connor, we were ready.  We were back--- WAY back of the pack in the stroller line.  The stroller line was behind even the walkers.  Put it this way, in a sea of 12,000 other participants, we crossed the start line 24 minutes into the race.  We walked, we ran (I was shocked I ran as much as I did).  We sang, we people watched, we said "Excuse me, passing on your right" a lot.  I tried so hard to NOT use my stroller as a battering ram, but it was hard. Some of those participants were SLOW.  Which is great, but please leave a lane open for passing!

Miles 1 and 2 were cake for us all. Eating snacks (well Connor and CC were), we said, "Thank you" and "Hello" to all race helpers and police officers.  We were all pretty amused.  Then came our first of 3 bridges.  At the peak of the bridge, Calista had melt down #1.  Complete jello child trying to melt her way out of her seat.  After 3 or 4 minutes of stopping and helping her out... We were moving again... Until the end of the bridge where melt down #2 --- which was LONGER and LOUDER then melt #1-- started.  That one lasted a good 5 minute break. Oh geeze, I thought we would never finish... But, I pressed on.  Mile 3 and 4 flew by.  Calista, Connor, and I sang more songs.  I think people really loved our Wheels on the Bus and Itsy Bitsy Spider tunes.  We went over our second bridge and Connor asked to see the river.  How could I say no? He was so good, we stopped and enjoyed the view.  Then off we went for our last 2.1 miles....

Then came the words I dreaded to hear....

"Mommy, I hafta go potty." 

Crap.

Here we are in Kentucky... The only things around me, the bridge to get to the finish line, or a liquor store.  I sucked up my apprehension, and entered a liquor store with 2 kids in a stroller. I talked with the owner, we was hesitant, but let us use his restroom.  His daughter offered to watch CC for me while Connor and I went into the back room.  I finally found the door, opened it up and.... Imagine my SHOCK when a man was in there washing his hair in the sink.  What.The.Hell.  He looked at me and exclaimed, "Dude, I'm gonna be a minute."  Yeah... I turned so fast and told Connor, sorry you are gonna need to hold it.   He was asking me, "What that man doing?"  Ugh... I put Connor back in the stroller, told the hesitant owner, "Some guy is washing his hair in your bathroom." And left. 

Poor Connor had to go, to bide his time, I gave him the I-Phone and he played angry birds for the last 1.3 miles.  Calista, was just singing with me.

Finally, we finished.  Our time 1 hour 32 minutes.  I figure if I deduct about 10 or 15 minutes for meltdowns and breaks, our time was not bad! 

We did really well, I was so proud of us. Our whole group of 10 all finished. Some in under and hour, some in under 2 hours.  But, we all had fun.  And we all had extra calories to eat at Thanksgiving :)

Jeff, Willy, Scott and my team
Willy, Me, Scott and my roller team
Lori, Heidi, Me, Eli, Connor and CC

No comments:

Post a Comment