Monday, October 3, 2011

GENIUS! Fun in the Tub and Bubble Snakes

Note to self- MAKE THAT DAMN DISASTER KIT YOU HAVE TALKED ABOUT FOR 11 YEARS!!!

A few nights ago massive wind storm blew in and took our electric with it. Once I found a flashlight, we decided to try to make the most of it. Jeff pulled his car out of the garage, and turned on his headlights for the kids to play.  I brought down their light up turtle and lady bug, so the who garage was covered in stars. We played while the rain fell and the wind blew in. (FYI- we needed the night air to help with Connor's Croup)

After about a 1/2 hour it was bath time. It was dark in the bathroom, even with candles and more flash lights. The a candle light went off in my head (we didn't have power so it could not have been a light bulb)! I had seen on a website that a mom threw in some glow sticks in the bath tub.  They are water resistant and illuminate the water really neat.  I remembered we had some, so I got them, chucked them in the tub with the kids, and they were a BLAST!!! (FYI- you can find a pack of 5 at Target right now for $1!!! Invest in the FUN!)

So, just another way to make bathtime a little more fun-- add a few glow sticks! Just make sure no one tries to bite them (ahem...Calista....). We used them as drum sticks, made alphabet letters, all kinds of silly things. The kids just thought they were a hoot!

I would love to have included pictures, but my camera was still getting fixed :(  When we do it again, I'll post some pictures.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey's it's a 2 for 1 post today!  Here is another play idea that went over SUPER well at our house.  You must try it, for us it cost me $0 for about a good hour of fun play!

Another fun idea for play, BUBBLE SNAKES!
Connor and I made some bubbles.

They are green because I used green dish soap!
Yeah, I "Hulked" out our bubbles...
We used this recipe:

1 and 1/4 cups warm water

1/4 cup Light Corn Syrup

1/2 cup Dawn Detergent

Mix and let sit a bit



Now, make the bubble snake maker:

Get a plastic bottle and cut off the bottom

Cover bottom with Terry Cloth and attach it to the bottle with a rubber band
Dip terry cloth in bubble and BLOW! Create your bubble snakes!!!
Dip

Blow



Create!

Our "Snake" Collection

The Mess, easily cleaned with the hose!

A small  note about bubbles made with light corn syrup - they are STICKY.  I would not use them if you have a bee, wasp issue right now.  Just "bee" warned -- Ha, ha "bee" warned. Oh, I am a funny girl today!

We were out of bubble juice which is why I created our own, I guess this should work fine with store bought bubble juice as well! Happy Playing!

No comments:

Post a Comment