| Everyone needs a tiara and rose colored glasses |
Each night when I take Calista to bed, she and I lay in her little bed looking up at her mobile that illuminates an image on her ceiling. We see the giraffes, baby peng-peng, whale, fish, moon, star, Pua-Pua-Pie (hippopotamus), Polar bear and a monkey. She names them all to me, making me wonder how many nights in her crib she looked up to see them, to figure out what they were. Calista rolls to her side to look at her other soothy. There we also have a peng-peng, a lion, two polar bears, a whale, a fish and a monkey. There are 3 buttons on there, she likes to press the middle one. The middle one plays her favorite songs.
We lay there watching, singing our little KaiLan song. "You and I we gotta, GOTTA try to listen to our lullaby and go to sleep. Good night- Wǎn ān! " Then I say, "I love you CC." She says the same thing to me every night. "Wait."
I would wait with her all night. Sometimes, she will wrap her little arm around my neck in a half-hug to keep me with her. Every time I tell her, "I love you" she asks me to "Wait." I wait for as long as I can, then I know it's time for me to slip out. Honestly, I'd love to stay and snuggle with that little bug all night. But, I know I'm not supposed to. That's not to say that maybe one night...I might just take her up on her offer and stay until she drifts to sleep... I am to savor the moment and wait with her, because I know one day too soon, I will be asked to leave. There will be no more waiting and watching the animals go by with my little girl. I know this time is fleeting and I need to absorb as much of it as I can. Maybe I just need to heed to her advice and slow down and wait.
No comments:
Post a Comment