DIY Project #1 - Hair Doodle Holder
I have been playing with a site called Pinterest the past few weeks. There are LOTS of great crafty ideas on there. In fact, a pin (they call them pins) inspired me to create this:
| Look a Hair Doodle Holder |
My inspiration was from this initial pin http://www.theparopost.com/2011/10/diy-bow-holder.html
How did I do it? It was SIMPLE.
What I Used:
- One, 11 x 14 Naked Picture Frame - no glass nothing, just the frame. Purchased at Michael's using my 50% coupon!
- One Can of Spray Paint
- Little Hooks that screw in, we used about 15
- Ribbon
- A hanger for the picture frame
- Hot Glue Gun
How Did We Make It? (we because Jeff helped)
1. Looked at frame, measured out where I wanted each hook. I think I measured every 3/4 of an inch. Leaving almost an inch on each end so the wood would not split. Jeff decided to make a pilot hole for each hook so they would screw in easier. He was right. However, with enough brute strength, you could probably just screw in the hooks.
It looked like this:
| Picture frame with little hooks, and a very cute model |
2. Once the hooks were in place, I spray painted it a glossy white. I did 2 coats, letting it dry in between coats. The hooks we had were brass, I wanted them white, hence why I attached them. Obviously, if you wanted the hooks to remain the brass color, "hook 'em" up after the frame is painted.
| Cute little painted hooks |
3. The ribbon I used was 1 inch ribbon I had from a defunct project. Glad to see I found a use for it! I measured 6, 12 inch segments. I then placed them every inch, doing my best to center them.
4. Adhere ribbon to frame with hot glue gun. *Note, hot glue hurts fingers- try not to cuss as you glue your fingers accidentally while smushing ribbon into the glue.
| Not so pretty from the back |
5. After the hot glue dries, adhere the frame hanger to the frame.| I like the ones with the teeth, they have a little bite to them.. GRRRR! |
| In the words of Connor, "I did myself!" |
DIY #2 - Art Display/Christmas Card Display/ ect
What I Used:
- Ribbon
- 3M Command Strip hangers
- Silk Flowers
- Hot Glue or scrapbooking big Glue dots
How Did I Do It?
1. Place the 3M adhesive strips to your wall (of course follow their directions on best application)
2. While adhesive is adhering, grab a couple cute silk flower heads you have around. Glue flower head to 3M hook. Position it so the hook is still usable, but is camouflaged by the flower.
3. Place hook on the adhesive with pretty flower attached
4. String ribbon you have laying around from hook to hook creating a "clothes line" effect.
5. Hang children's art/Christmas cards/photos/etc from ribbon.
6. Open beer/adult beverage and sit back and admire your new display.
| Art, see we must be classy, we have art! |
| I used Mum heads I had from a project I created from my wedding about 11 years ago. They've been sitting in a box labeled, "Silk Flowers." Lots of delightful jems in that box! |
Best thing is this project to totally temporary! I use this a TON with displaying our Christmas Cards, but instead of Flowers, I have used cute bows or little snowflakes to camo the 3M hanger.
Let's Talk Turkey... How much did each project cost me?
Well, the hair doodle holder it was $6 for the frame, $4 for the paint $1.30 for the hooks, so $11.30? You can probably find a frame cheaper too.
Art Display, $0. I had everything on hand. :)
And that is what I've been doing while Connor and I have been recovering from the croup.
No comments:
Post a Comment