Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Garden Update....

Remember when we built the raised garden beds? They looked like this:


I planted some cute plants and the bunnies ate a few, so I re-planted cute plants.  I planted about 5 tomato plants, 3 pepper plants, and some herbs (basil, oregano, cilantro, sage, rosemary) are in the corner. 

This is the garden now, almost 2 months after it was built.

Notice MONSTER tomato jungle that is trying to get Connor

We should have a tomato explosion in about 3 weeks, if that long


Jeff and I consider ourselves experienced veggie gardeners.  At our old house, our garden spanned the width of a 2 car garage and depth of about 10 feet - it was HUGE.  We planted tons of tomatoes, peppers, horseradish, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, zucchini, onions, etc.  it was BIG. 

But, neither of us have seen the results of pure organic soil with veggies.  We always put the plants in the ground, mixed in some fancy dirt with the existing dirt and off we went.  We would always yield some nice tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, etc.  I have been doing container gardens on herbs for years.  See in the above picture, that first 3 foot high plant? Yes that is BASIL. 

Apparently we did something VERY right.  The only plant not flourishing is our sad little cucumber plant.  He's in a pot, and not looking so good.  We are working an exchange with our neighbors that have crazy cucumbers, but the deer ate all their tomato plants.   You gotta love good neighbors like that :)

Wow, is all I have to say.  I had no idea things would explode how they have.  I now and thinking of moving our tables and chairs out of the way so we do not have to eat in a jungle for the Fourth of July.

Bottom line, I'll be looking for some tomato recipes soon.....


1 comment:

  1. Wow! That's crazy! I have a friend who has one landscaping bed near her house. She has been planting jalapeno plants there every year and for some freakish reason the plants explode into millions of the most SPICY jalapenos ever. It's so strange. Just that one spot. Perhaps the previous owners put organic soil there!

    ReplyDelete