Monday, July 30, 2012

Birthday Party 2012

This year, I decided to try a combination birthday party for both kids.  I LOVE looking at those uber cute blogs that have awesomely coordinated birthday parties, the decorations, food, drink and everything all match and are picture perfect.

Then again, when you are trying to mix three themes (Octonauts, Shark and Penguin) super cute matching straws and cups aren't gonna happen.  Neither are super cute printables to describe food and drinks, cutely named to match the theme.  I WANT to be that cute organized blogger where everything is picture perfect.  But, what we had was just as fun, and totally my kids.  My kids are not matchy, coordinated little beings.  They mix black and navy blue when dressing, they mix weebles and little people when playing, luckily, they are not the rigid type A personality of their mother.  Hence our pleasant Octonaut-Shark-Penguin party!

In an attempt to make the Octonaut theme successful, I needed to be creative.  You see, none of the Octonaut merchandise is available in the States.  So, thanks to Amazon, Ebay and a VERY creative cake lady (Jodi, from Cakes by Jodi), I was able to score some Octonaut items.  Working with a great Ebay seller from the UK, I scored some plates, napkins and Mylar balloons.  I did also get some local party supplies (for the shark and penguin portions).

I worked with Jodi (Cakes By Jodi) to create custom 3D toppers. Unfortunately, the USPS was less than gentle with my package and crushed a couple items.  I guess they missed the words FRAGILE stamped all over the box.  Had I not been sitting right next to the door when the package "thudded" to my porch, I could have just guessed it was an accident somewhere along the trip.  But, no, the "thud" gave it away that the weak link that most likely caused the bulk of the damage. I really, REALLY wanted to kick my postal carrier. 

BACK TO HAPPIER THINGS.

With a little creative icing and lots of patience I ended up with these jems:



Super cute, right?  Well the kids loved them...



This picture just proves the fact I could not get a good one of both of them with their cakes.

We had lots of other party food, like....
Batman helped me make Rainbow Fruit Kabobs

Watermelon Shark filled with Gummy Fish

Cookies from a local bakery
Decorations using a cricut
I created this MONSTER Banner for them:



Now some various party pictures:




 
 


Since we did a combination party, this year we also did a big combo gift for the kids...

 
Meet our wet or dry bounce house! The kids LOVE it!  Jeff and I wanted one that had a slide and a bounce portion, without a HUGE price tag.  And we found this guy!  Super easy to put up, and tear down.  But, when it is wet, it does take some extra time to dry out.  During the party all the kids enjoyed playing in it!


 

All in all our party was a great success!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment