http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH6DdijYT9o
Ah, Stewie and Lois...
So, staircase re-do. You know what, stairs don't talk back. They let me do whatever, I want. And, with these beauties rocking the 1982, Holiday Inn Beige Carpet, I wanted to do SOMETHING. I could not walk down these ugly, nasty, stinky, stained, disgusting steps again.
| Yuck. No personality ugly steps. |
| My tools of choice.... Jeff needs to hide them better. |
| Oh no! My Wonderbar, Utility Knife, and brute strength ripped this up... |
I told Jeff, this was the original carpet. He disagreed, until he saw/smelled what lay underneath. It was disgusting. Jeff came home, saw two steps missing carpet, shook his head and kept going up. I had to work late, and Jeff had softball. So, for two hours, I stared at my two naked steps thinking, "Oh crap.... what did I do?"
I did what anyone would do, I scoured the Internet for "Stair re-do" or "Staircase update" or "update 1982 steps." I then googled, "stair runner" and "painted steps" and "refinish stairs." I slightly panicked, then called my cousin, Shawn, to assist in demo. While I am slightly dainty with demolition, Shawn rolls up his sleeves, and tears stuff out fast and furious. Obviously, he does not have to dust the house after Demo.
| Shawn helping clean up demo. Proof, he did try to clean :) Notice, Jeff and my Uncle are "supervising" |
| Connor reacting to the Shop vac |
Saturday, I had a plan. Before I went to yoga, my goal was to go to Lowe's to see their in stock runners. I knew the following....
1. I would not be staining these steps
2. I needed to sand these babies
3. I needed to prime these naked steps, and maybe some of the delightful Dark Walnut trim that runs throughout this home
4. The dog will not walk up or down these steps, we need something on them
I looked at Lowe's, they had some new Seagrass runners, they were very trendy. Kind of like what I saw online.
I got some samples, grabbed some Zinsser Cover Stain Primer (I saw it on this post: Centsational Girl Staircase re-do), some sand paper, and some caulk. The steps has some gaps I needed to fix, and caulk was gonna be my friend.
And then I went to yoga...and I thought...and thought...
I went right back to Lowe's after yoga. I went back home with a sample of this:
| Traditional |
Once nap time rolled around on Saturday, Jeff had to go fix my car - a do-hickey was all busted. Something about if the do-hickey broke, I'd be in a world of trouble. So, I gave Jeff my car. I had a date with a sander, some tack cloth, and primer. By the time nap was over, I had this....
By the end of Saturday, I had primed, caulked, and purchased a stair runner.
The next day, we were going on a day trip. So, Sunday, super early, I put on one coat of paint. Halfway down the stair case, I realized the paint I was using was OUTDOOR paint. This is what happens when you look in your paint can arsenal for Satin white paint. I am hoping it wears well, only time will tell. I was not going to be deterred by this minor set back, so I forged on!
Monday morning, I put on coat number two. Late afternoon, Jeff pulled out the air compressor, nail gun and staples. Off we went....Step by step, staple by staple, we had 1 hour to get the steps finished before our company arrived. We were having a little pizza and cake celebration for CC's third birthday. Here is the sneak peak from that...
But, then we were finished...Here is our final project:
Side by side before and after:
The dollars and cents? The project came in about $80.00. I had to get the primer, caulk, some sandpaper, staples and the runner. Everything else we had! I was very impressed with how well this went. Both Jeff and I thought this would end up being a "patch" job until we figured out what to do. We are happy with it, the new runner goes with the house (and Higgins will now walk upstairs). I think I am going to prime and paint the middle spindles white to tie them into the stair case. The primer worked so well, I am debating painting a little more of the wood (a sin, I know, but this house is FILLED with this 80's stained wood).
All in all project complete. Next up, new carpet in the upstairs hallway and master bedroom. After that, painting the living room, and updating some outdated built in bookcases. Besides all that, Connor and Calista learned a new fact about their Mommy, they learned that Mommy knows how to use tools. I think they were both impressed and frightened with this new revelation...I know Jeff feels this way too.
No comments:
Post a Comment