Thursday, April 26, 2012

L

Little things...

If you have read this blog long enough, you know my kids love the little things. Pouring colored water, playing with water beads or colored rice. Simple things, simple play, that make fun memories.  Throwing glow sticks in a bath tub at night- they love it!  "Painting" with colored shaving cream in the tub. Fun for all.

(*** NOTE: doing colored anything, food coloring goes a LONG way- I use only 1 drop for most "colored" play we do. Only colored rice takes a LOT of food coloring, everything else is a drop or two.) 

I love finding simple ideas, for imaginative play, and my kids are really developing their imagination.  Here are a couple other things they love.  Things I do for them, that they appreciate.  Things I had no idea, brought them so much joy, until they started asking me to repeat these little things for them. Things that, over time, will fade.

Really, it is in the little things....

1. Setting up 20 of Calista's 23 penguins on her bed.  You can really see her joy.  She totally finds it amazing for all her Peng-Pengs to be lines up on her bed.  (OK, penguins, a puffin, a couple kitties, and any one recognize the little girl stuffed animal? CC holds her and says, "Bust'em, Bust'Em, Bust 'em!"
20 of 23 Penguins


CC's joy
2. Connor's Stuffed Friends....Grey Kitty, Meow-Meow, New Grey Kitty, Meow-Meow, baby Kitty Meow-meow, Woody, Buzz, Hippo (no longer named Pua-Pua-Pie), his snake and his beloved B



Carson, CC's Favorite Penguin
Grey Kitty, Meow-Meow, baby Kitty, and B with Connor
3. About once a week, I try to set up a toy for them to explore. Some days it's resetting the train table a little different, or placing the Weebles out to play.  Monday, Connor asked me to do something with his hot wheels, and CC wanted help with her doll house. Here was the set-up....






I have a rule of all toys need to be put away at night, last night they were placed in their proper baskets and cubbies. That was until Mommy played with them.  I think I have watched Toy Story too make times; I love the idea of the Toys playing when the own is away or asleep.  Jeff asked me if the kids even notice or say anything when I do this.  The answer is yes.  CC will go to the toys she wants, clasp her little hand over her mouth exclaiming, "OH MY GOODNESS!"  They she plays, and imagines and asks me to play too.  Connor, LOVES seeing all his cars out. He did not want CC to touch a thing. He will then choose a few to use on the train tracks or something else. 

So, why would I do this? I have no idea, except it brings the kids joy. It is fun to watch what toy group they go to, or how their play evolves with what I set up.  It is silly, but again... it's the little things that bring the kids joy. In turn, it brings me JOY seeing them happy.  One can never have enough joy...

No comments:

Post a Comment