Wednesday, April 4, 2012

G

Game Day.......
Tomorrow, is Opening Day for our Cincinnati Redlegs. If you are not from here, lemme tell you THIS is a BIG DEAL.  How it is not a city wide holiday, I will never know. People sure act like it is! Cincinnati is full of baseball history, in fact we have great baseball artifacts hanging like art, in our basement.

As a kid, I remember other kids in school skipping class to attend opening day. One day, I am SURE, that will happen for Connor and CC.  I missed enough school for Gymnastics meets; I was never able to miss for Opening Day. Plus, my Mom was more a football fan than baseball, and I followed in her footsteps.

My Grandpa would sit on the porch listening to games - rain or shine. You would also catch my Gramma watching games on TV.  Those two were fans and they loved the Reds.  And I married a huge baseball fan, and my son loves the sport.

Me, well, I try. I like going to games, but I hardly watch the game.  I know there are 3 strikes and you're out, 3 outs in an inning and 9 innings to a regular game. In my opinion, it should end after 7, as my attention span for baseball seriously wanes after  5 to 7 innings. I have tried, really hard, for about 19 years to like the game. I learned the positions on the field and how to keep score (well an easy way that any 8 year old could do). Hell, Jeff even taught me how to use a glove.

Fact is, for me, the game is just slow. It just does not hold my attention. Like my Mom, I'd rather watch football, or Nascar over baseball. Heck, I think I even prefer bull riding over baseball. (Typing this is like admitting to a sin - my husband comes from a HUGE baseball family.  Heck, my brother-in-law played college ball, and Jeff even had a try-out with the Yankees (back in the day) I think they have an extra baseball loving allele on a chromosome somewhere).

I keep thinking, maybe if I learn more rules, or begin to appreciate the physics/bio-mechanics associated with baseball I'll enjoy it more. I see the bio-mechanics of a proper swing or pitch.  My mind works that way, I can see a shoulder dip down too far to cause a pop-fly, or an elbow not at the proper angle for a good trajectory on a pitch. Yet, it's still not my thing.

What I love about that sport is, being able to hang with our friends, enjoy a beautiful spring/summer day/night, drink a beer, and eat some ballpark pretzels. THAT is what has me coming back to the ball park.  While I might not follow a game or have any idea who's on first, I still go to the park. Jeff and our buddy, Scott, even talked me into going to Spring Training one year. It was a bunch of fun, I could not tell you one thing about the baseball there - but- the company, the sunshine and the beer was lovely. 

Even after me admitting all this, I will still be attending Opening Day. I will still have a great time, and I doubt I will have any idea what is going on during the game.  But, I will try, I will keep trying...

Let's Play Ball!

Spring Training 2008

Jeff and I at Spring Training

Scott and I, with my foam finger, at Spring Training

Connor showing my where he is going to play when he gets big
(that is our Stadium in the background)


My baseball loving family
At least the Jersey's are a nice Red color...

No comments:

Post a Comment