I sat here thinking, I know I typed out how Jeff and I met. I would have sworn I even posted it, yet I did not. I did type it up, but never posted the blog. You see... We met when I was 17. Back in the days before cell-phones, facebook, or anything. I was raised right and proper and I was a good kid. However, there is no way in hell I should have been 2 States away going to a strange party with Vampires and Cock-fighting (that happened after we left). No, I had to clean up how Jeff and I met. The "clean" version involving playing billiards at "Jups" in Clifton. I'm 98% sure I did not come clean to my Mom about how Jeff and I really met, until we were engaged. Really, by then it was a white lie. But, in December of 1992, the truth would have ended my teenage social life for a really LONG time.
Here is the truth as I recall it. Some of the innocent will go by initials, others - well, you didn't get so lucky.
My senior year of high school, a good friend, R, and I found ourselves interested in music. We both enjoyed classic rock and really LOVED the hair bands of the 80's/90's and some alternative...really we liked music. We went to a local club to listen to their "Battle of the Bands" competition, it was mostly early 90's heavy metal stuff. We did our best to blend in, exchanging our Catholic Girl uniforms for black jeans and sheer tops. One weekend Battle of the Bands, in November/December 1992, some guy was handing out flyers. The flyer was for a party, it gave instructions and looked pretty nondescript.
So, weeks go by. Christmas arrived, and that evening, R called and we made plans to go out the next night, December 26, to the "band" party. Luckily, R had her own car so she drove. She picked me up, I'm pretty sure I told my Mom we were going out somewhere to play pool or see a band.
The directions said to follow 275 (the loop around Cincinnati), and we did...going from Ohio to Kentucky....from Kentucky to INDIANA?! What in the world?! We just figured we were going to a barn party in Kentucky. But, NOPE we saw "Welcome to Indiana!" As we crossed into the next state I knew both of us were thinking the same thing, "Our parents are going to kill us."
We pulled up and parked on the street by this house. I promptly stepped out of the car, stepped on a patch of ice, and fell directly to my butt. Nice first impression, huh? I arrived at this heavy metal band party wearing my black jeans, black half boots, green silk top- buttoned to the top button - as seen on 90210 or Saved By The Bell, and my permed hair was perfectly scrunched with gel, and my bangs perfectly placed to the side. Yes, I was looking good -- you know despite my issues with ice and gravity.
I remember walking into this house being COMPLETELY overwhelmed with the feeling of "WHAT THE HELL DID WE DO?!" Immediately, R found a friend, Matt, and Matt's friend Jeff. Oh, and this guy who said he was a vampire. He offered me a liquor soaked cherry that I promptly
So, Matt and Jeff were hanging in a hallway and talking. Somehow, I got dumped on them while R mingled to find some other people she knew. Besides that cherry, I did not have anything else to drink that night; I was the driver. I was 100% sober. Now, back to Matt and Jeff.
Matt, Jeff and I stood there for hours talking. Talking about what? I have no idea. I cannot remember one bit of conversation. However, when the night came to an end, Matt suggested I give Jeff my number. This Jeff guy... yikes... Tall, thin, black, longish hair, and a crustashe (one of those nasty 5 haired mustaches you see on 16 year old boys that drive trans-ams/cameros/ any 1980's muscle car -- commonly also seen on people with mullets. And no, Jeff, you cannot get mad at that comment, it was NOT a good look for you. I was so HAPPY when you shaved off those 5 hairs- THANK YOU!).
Back to the story, I was unsure I wanted this "roadie" with the band to have my number. Alas, I conceded to give it to him. Jeff had me write my number on the back of a coupon, with the understanding that if this did not work out, he'd still have his $1.00 Skyline coupon.
A few days later, Jeff called me. We talked for awhile, a LONG while. He seemed to be a nice guy. I agreed to go out and see a movie. Our movie of choice was Under Seige; it was playing at the $1.50 theater. (Nothing says romance like watching Steven Seagle save a submarine full of people.) Jeff pulled up (he drove 22 miles from his house to mine), in a yellow 1985ish Camero. I know, sweet ride, huh? Did I mention it had T-tops??? He came in to meet my Mom, my Gramma, and my Grandpa. Apparently he seemed OK, as my family let me leave the house with him.
I remember our first date was awkward for us both. We talked a lot, we had similar taste in music. We learned we grew up a few streets away from each other (before his family moved away), we knew the same kids. He played on my street with my neighbors. It's likely we even knew each other as kids. He graduated from an All Boys Catholic school, we knew the same people from there - he even knew people I went to gymnastics with.
How I found this guy in Indiana, and our paths had already crossed so many times, yet we did not know each other - was mystery of the Universe. I should have realized then, that there was a plan for us, and that we were not always in control of the timeline.
And THAT is where we started.... this year we will celebrate 20 years together...and I wish we still had that Yellow Camero.
![]() |
| The Coupon and first movie ticket |
![]() |
| Our First Dance in February 1993 |
![]() |
| Our First Dance as a Married Couple September 23, 2000 |



No comments:
Post a Comment