Thursday, July 28, 2011

Working Girl

Yes, I work and not just Mom work.  I know it's at home, in shorts and a tank top, but I do work.  Trust me I work with customers everyday, but it has been over 3 years since I have been on a business trip. For a quick recap, I used to travel 4 to 5 days a week for work, that lasted 2 years.  Then for the next 4 years, I'd have a few trips a year to California...but for the last 3 years, I have not left my home for work.  Nope, I haven't. The only time I have been dressed up in 3 years have been for weddings or funerals. Honestly, that's it!

Until now...next week, I'll be back in front of customers and colleagues.  I have a few days I figure out if I even own anymore business clothing. Last outfit I wore like that was post- bad IVF days. My pants were a bigger and roomier, due to "swelling" from all the fertility meds, and the like.  Ugh.  Due to my "closet cleaning" those outfits are GONE and NOT in contention for business wear for next week.

I might actually wear a pencil skirt and heels, heck lets add some pearls - it will go with my hint of gray hair that I have not colored. Speaking of hair, guess I need to ensure that blow dryer and flat iron still work.  And make-up?! Oh man, I have A LOT to do to prepare here.  You'd think I'm planning for a European excursion, whereas, in reality, it's a 4 hour drive up I-71.  Honestly I have avoided this stretch of highway for 3 years. Last time I drove it I about had a minor anxiety issue. After working through it with a friend, we think it was really anxiety from the unknown of the adoption.  I'm hoping this the case... if it's not, it means I am scared of really HIGH bridges. Here's hoping I can make it over that guy in 1 piece.

Yes, I am going back into the world of smiling and dancing in front of customers (not real dancing, but that tap dance you do to keep customers happy and well amused).  I am lucky the colleague that is meeting me is a great friend I speak with daily- yet we have not seen each other in easily 3 years.  I've not met his 2 kids, and he's never met mine.  Last time we met, his wife was pregnant with baby #2 and I was still dreaming and hoping for our adoption to work.

But, now. It's time. The kids are a little older, Jeff and I have help coming (thanks Mammy!) to ensure the kids will be looked after. I have my I-pad and Jeff has his I-Touch so we can face time... I just hope we all can make it.  I know I will miss my family like crazy, but it will be nice to know I still "have it" in the business sense.  To prove to myself and my company that I still am an asset even though I have 2 kids. And secretly, it will be nice to have a little quiet to myself....but I bet after 10 minutes I'll be wishing for all the noise associated with my family. I think I might even have to borrow a peng-peng from CC and little kitty-meow-meow from Connor just in case I need a little slice of home.  Oh, and I should bring 1 hotwheel and randomly toss it on the floor in the hotel room. I'm not sure I could go a day without stepping on one of those... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment