T-minus 10 days until Connor's birthday
T-minus 9 days until Connor's party
T-minus 36 days until Calista's birthday and party
And no, I have no idea what the "t-minus" means - however I could google for a definition. Anyway, it sounds cool and with Atlantis just going for it's last mission, it seems appropriate.
Let's place this in perspective, this week is like my week before Thanksgiving. You know, the week you start to plan the menu and such, and then you pause and realize Christmas is coming around the bend quicker than you expected. And holy crap did we get our Christmas card picture taken yet? And where is that garbage can for that Turkey (will post recipe for garbage can turkey later- trust me it's AWESOME)?! Then lots of other rambled, jumbled thoughts begin to cloud your brain...
Right now, my Thanksgiving is Connor's party/birthday, and the looming Christmas is Calista's party/birthday. Hence why I have a pit in my stomach. Hence why I have commenced freaking out, like any rational party planner. (Insert image of Parker Posy in Best In Show, looking for her dog's favorite toy, the busy bee. She's not planning a party, but it's still a good freak out scene. Oh look, for your enjoyment, here's the you tube link: Best In Show Freak Out)
Hence why Jeff just steps back, drinks a beer and thinks, "She does this [ freaking out] every event she plans. Best I step out of her way until she assigns me a duty. Better yet, I think I should go hide or cut the grass." Yep, for 11 years I've been like this. It took Jeff about 5 years to realize this was my normal, it took me about 8 years to realize I am a party planner freaker-outer.
Yes, I have a known history for freaking while planning a party, freaking while preparing for the party, and the day of the party- I have been known to have steam coming from my ears as my head spins a la the Exorcist. I'm pretty sure Jeff would even compare my party preparation mood to that of a possessed woman. This is also why my beloved husband goes to get ice, or beer, or gets the kids, or does whatever he can to stay clear of his crazy possessed wife 1 hour pre-party. It's safer for him that way.
So, I am sitting here, writing a menu, trying to decide if it's really feasible. I just ordered more than necessary for tableware, favors, balloons, etc - for BOTH parties. Yet, I still sit here going, "Will it be enough? Will it create the prefect baseball/Curious George/Kai Lan theme? This year I am even trying to have our menu fit the theme -- well a little bit. Where as I could go nuts serving tons of Chinese food for CC's KaiLan party, not everyone likes that. But, hot dogs, peanuts, cracker jacks, bananas? It's gonna be a regular Curious George goes to a Baseball game sorta feel.
But, until that first guest arrives... I will be on the edge of calm or freaking out. It's a delicate edge that I willingly walk, as I LOVE to have people over and throw a nice bash! It's just that planning freaks me out a lot more than it should - and THAT is a function of my delightful Type A, perfectionist, must-be-in-control-at-all-times personality. One day I might relax....
Yet, I still freak. The parties will be great, the kids will have fun, our guests should leave full and with smiles. Our house should be a mess, we should be exhausted, I should have icing in places where I did not have icing earlier in the day, the kids will run around on their sugar high, the food will be gone, the beer mostly drank (except of the super secret emergency stash), and the dogs will even be exhausted.... but -- those are signs of a good party. And at the end of it all, I smile and finally relax.... until the next event....
Not to rain on your parade but I believe Kai Lan is Japanese, so maybe a nice sushi bar would be a nice addition for CC's b-day party... ha
ReplyDeleteJust my 2 cents from Jen Regan