So, my point of reference was that trip from hell, also known as (my cousin) Shawn's Graduation from The University of Toledo. Toledo being a total sub-par school, when compared to the Elite institution known as Bowling Green State University (Go Falcons!). OK, UT and BGSU are serious rivals. While they are very similar in size and such, BG is a much better school :) ANYWAY- back to VACATION!!!!!
I had fretted and prayed about that 12 hour drive. After lots of discussion, we decided leaving around 5 AM (AM as in A$$-crack of Morning!). We packed up the car, and I ensured we OVER packed the car. Jeff slept, the kids slept, I laid in a state of twilight paranoia sleep of worry...how would this trip go? I close my eyes for what seemed like 30minutes and the alarm went chirping off.
About 20minutes into the trip, it started with......... "Momma- BIG GIANT TRUCK. Momm-a BIG GIANT RED TRUCK. MAAAA-MMAAAA BIG GIANT WHITE TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Repeat, change truck color, etc. It continued for about 1.5 hours...near Lexington, Kentucky and I heard crying. I looked back to view, Connor getting sick. YUCK. We made our first stop, cleaned him up, and got a little milk for them. I decided if we started them on movies, that would at least keep Connor from watching out the window the whole time possibly adding to his car sickness.
A couple hours later, after daybreak had broke, we stopped in Corbin, Kentucky. Allow this to go down in history, I allowed my children to play in a McDonald's playland, and even ate McDonald's. Many a Mom told me those evil Golden Arches were a savior. I discovered this, but I have not sold my soul to those Arches- but they do make a fine Mocha.
Our trip lead us through all of Tennessee, through some beautiful mountains (Connor LOVED the tunnels that cut through the mountains), or next break was in South Carolina. All in all our trip went so very well, but the last 2 hours were the longest. Due to weather, traffic and simple anticipation of waiting to see the sunny beach. Note, CC slept a little, but Connor was up the ENTIRE TRIP.
Our condo was perfect for us. Check it out:
View as you walk in...Not sure there is always a 1/2 dressed baby in the living area
Connor's bottom bunk, and our version of an "alarm" in case he tried to escape
The curtain closed at night, the door closed and he had his own little sleeping area
Breakfast - no idea whose beer that is...
(aside, I knew it was vacation when I went straight from having coffee to beer one day)
A sliver of Jeff holding down the couch
The patio- lots of fun
Our view- pool to the right, beach in the middle, Pier on the Left
We had simply a wonderful trip. We visited with family who was also in town, Jeff and I were able to do 1 on 1 time with the kids (Connor is a doer like me, where CC is a snuggler/napper like Jeff). I felt so proud walking on the beach with MY SON, who was just full of awe and wonderment at all he saw. A shell, a seagull, whatever. It was amazing. We saw a couple pods of dolphins swim by, Connor pet a shark and he was lucky (not really) to view a giant red fish get cleaned. I kept trying to tell him the fish was getting a bath, but while scales are going flying it's tough to re-direct during that.
We went to a family wedding. I guess it was nice, I know they were married. But, CC was NOT ready to be quiet in Church so she and I hung out in this beautiful courtyard, then Jeff had to take Connor potty. Neither of us saw the "I Do's." But we were the first to see the happy couple emerge for the Church! The kids loved these huge strawberries at the reception and we got cute pictures like these:
Connor eating his Strawberry. Calista never stopped moving!
Cute little Man
Connor and Cousin Jason (LOVE THE HAT!!!)
Family
Dapper Dan, I mean Cool Connor
Near Melted Calista
3 of Jeff's Lovely Aunts and their families
Next post Fun at the Beach (alternate title, Why My Son is Named 401-k)
Stay tuned!
No comments:
Post a Comment