Thursday, June 9, 2011

Vacation (part 2) -or- A Son Named 401-k

Being a very concerned for my camera sorta person, I did not bring my camera a lot to the beach.  I have already had the delight of killing a nice zoom lens with a grain of sand. Note-automatic zoom lenses with motors, don't mix well with a grain of sand.

 
Our first beach day was full of sun, family and BEACH! But, no camera due to my paranoia. I have lots of fun mental pictures.  I spent a lot of time with CC in a deep water.  We were bobbing in the waves and she squealed with glee every time a good crest came and tickled her belly. After awhile we just sat in the sand letting the waves crash at our feet. She enjoyed just sitting on my lap and splashing about.  OK, maybe I enjoyed it more than she did.

 
The 1 photo I missed was of Connor playing ball. All he wanted was to be outside and play ball.  He had EVERYONE pitching for him.  At one point, a gentleman approached Jeff (who was on hour 2 of pitching).  He asked Jeff, "Is your son's name 401-K? Cuz I'd like to invest in him for my retirement!"  Funny Southerners :) Our son made an impression on many beach goers who were entertained by his batting, running, sliding and going back for more.  Thank Goodness I thought to bring a bat, ball, and his glove.

Oh and I did nto have my camera when he and CC sat in a Fire Truck... MAYBE some nice family people can send me their photo files... :)

 
Jeff and I wanted to let the kids really enjoy themselves.  Naps were optional, bed times were later... We were all just relaxing. We had 0 obligation so let's do what we want. The kids saw the beach at night, we counted the stars and next thing I knew they were too exhausted to do anything but sleep.

 
I dug a hole in the sand.  I kept making it bigger and bigger.  Eventually I called it the  "time out pit."  Doesn't everyone need a pit? A one point I even had a little girl in a pit- sorta like in Silence of the Lambs, but less scarier and less of me asking her to put the lotion in the basket.

 
Girl in a Pit

 
Jeff would take the sand, pack it in the bucket and try to build something.  Everything he built, CC went and knocked over a la Godzilla.  She giggled every time.  Then Connor got in the act, they were a 2 kid wrecking crew!

 
Must Knock Down!
Once the kids were asleep, we would talk in the balcony for a few hours and enjoy some adult beverages. All while hearing the ocean in the background.  Very soothing. Ahhhhh...

 
By our last day, it seemed time to get back to "normal." Here are a few beach memories:
  • Jumping in the Waves
  • Sitting in the surf
  • Playing in the sand
  • Making the time out pit
  • Petting a shark - aka -"Big, Giant, Little Baby Shark."
  • Seeing dolphins swimming where we swam
  • Connor and CC were able to sit in a  "Big, Giant, Red " Fire truck at the fire station
  • Watching people fish off the pier
  • Jumping in the swimming pool
  • CC walking on other peoples beach towels just to get them sandy.
  • Shelling with Connor
  • Petting a 3 legged cat

 
Lots of fun.  It was simply perfect 5 days 4 nights is PLENTY of beach time with an almost 3 and almost 2 year old. On our drive back things went very smoothly, both kids even slept.  I HIGHLY suggest the following 83 minute movies to entertain children in a car: 1. Ponyo and 2. My Neighbor Totoro.  Both were dubbed in English, originally voiced in Japanese. But, something about those movies totally sucked in the kids. BOTH of THEM. Although I have only listened to My Neighbor Totoro- it seemed appropriate, and Ponyo- that movie is just awesome. 

 
Sooooo, here is the part you have been waiting for - more gratuitous beach pictures!!!! ENJOY!

 
Seeing the Ocean for the First Time

 
This was what they saw
Connor ready for the beach

 
Beachy CC with hat
(hat stayed on long enough for this picture)
No, That's MY Ocean (says Connor)

 
Playing with  their shadow
Hey look! There I am!
Note, DSLR cameras can do self-portraits!
Connor and Da-Da


 
Beachy CC

Our Pier

Friends


Sibling love

My Silly Girl

Connor LOVED pushing this button
(and every button we encountered)

Bye- Bye Ocean
“Our memories of the ocean will linger on, long after our footprints in the sand are gone.”

--Anonymous

 

 

 


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment