1. Chocolate
2. Caffeine
3. Beer (that changed to no beer Mon -Thurs -- it was harder than expected)
4. Cussing (yeah, that changed into no F-bombs)
5. Biting my nails (I have done this one a few times, and I am still a biter)
6. Doing 1 good thing a day
7. Run 3 times a week/work out more
8. Pop (aka Soft drinks)
9. Being nicer
10. etc.
The list could go on. But typically, abstain from sweets (which evolved into just chocolate) and caffeine. I still hate the fact Girl Scout cookie season always corresponds with Lent. Hence I have given up those delightfully delicious TagAlongs, that after I eat them, they "TagAlong" on my butt until I get to work them off. Stupid cookie full of delicious goodness!!!! Curse you GIRL SCOUT COOKIES!!!! (PS- I Also Curse Cadbury Eggs and Reece Eggs as well- I hate that I love you all)
This year I'm looking for something different. I have toyed with no yelling (let's be serious, that would last maybe 15 minutes), being more patient (no real quantitative measure), or a challenge I read on another blog. On the Clover Lane blog, she is doing a challenge of 40 bags for 40 days.
Here is her Link: http://memoriesoncloverlane.blogspot.com/2011/03/one-week-from-now-40-bags-40-days.html
A HUGE spring de-clutter. THIS is a challenge which would be good for me. As I have mentioned in previous posts, Jeff is the reason we do not live in a home that could be featured on Hoarders. Seriously. I cut from the cloth of "savers" and "keep this it will be good sometime later" and "Buy that now, maybe we can use it one day" or "Let's collect those, they could be valuable one day." Jeff is of the "if we are not using it/don't need it/ toss it" school. I don't comprehend that thought process. But, after 10 years, we have compromised. However, we still do have a non-running motor cycle in our possession that I hope to have disappear here one day.
I have a lot of stuff. I do. Most of it saved for sentimental reasons (yes, I still have the gym bag from my last gymnastics meet (from 1997), with my grips, tape, etc still in it. I can't bring myself to toss it, and I'm not sure I ever will.) Jeff likes to save things of 'value.' Why the quotes? Cuz I mean baseball cards. I don't understand it, but, with all the crap I have, who am I to judge. PLUS, I have became crafty and can hide all those cards (and any ugly sports memorabilia I
And YES, I have stacks of stuff that I know "someone" can use, but Goodwill will not take. And then, we went to the Home and Garden show and there it was. The place I have been looking for, the Habitat for Humanity DONATION center. I heard the chorus of angels sing. All that "stuff" I have been saving because I "knew" someone else could use, will now have a home. However, some home stuff is just crap, hence why some ugly hardware is sitting in a landfill on the west side of town.
But, for Lent this year, I am going to try to do 40 bags of things to donate and I will have a MONSTER delivery to the Habitat Donation Center. I am SOOO excited about that, and about being able to reclaim that section of my basement :) I just really thought the 40days/40 bags was a great idea. I had to share!!!
Oh, Lent ALSO brings me debating if I can abstain clothing shopping for 40 days - especially KIDS shopping (yes Children's Place- YOU and YOUR SALES are the cause of this!). But, the kids need their Easter clothes, as I still believe we can go to Mass with 2 well-behaved children. HA-HA! Mass is like a cardiovascular workout with these 2 little ones. Jeff and I leave all disheveled and sweating. Ugh.
The final thing Lent brings me is family. It's soooo silly, but, last year my Aunt, Uncle, Mom, Jeff, the kids and I met at our local VFW hall for Friday Fish Fry. It was so much fun to eat and be silly. Lucky for me, other wild kids attend, so Connor fit right in :) Oh and they serve beer- by the pitcher. It was fun for us all the meet up, good/cheap food, and if we were lucky we'd also run into other cousins and my great-uncle.
I look forward to a great Lenten season of reflection, donating to others, and spending time with family. What will you be up to?
No comments:
Post a Comment