We need a landscaper...
While participating in my 40 bags for 40 days challenge for Lent, I found myself outside a lot. For a few days, it was BEAUTIFUL! Spring time means- dog turd clean-up time. Hence my blog title. Sh!t does travel down hill, it does turn white, and your 2 year old will pick it up to tell you, there is "Dog POOP!" in your yard.
I have now approximated 4 bags of my 40 are dog poo. Yes, a whole winter of snow+ 2 dobermans = copious amounts of poo. I hate cleaning poo, but just for giggles, here is me last year on turd patrol:
Yes, that is CC in Baby Bjorn and Connor finding turds for me. It's a family affair. Dh even took a photo to document this multi-tasking master at her best!
So, during a nice day, I found myself back on turd patrol. As I was on patrol, I realized, I really hate our backyard. I mean HATE. Our old house had a 1/2 acre of back yard, then went into the woods then ended in a little creek. It was flat and long and wide enough- the perfect back yard. When we moved, we looked for a house with good bones and a decent yard. We wanted an ugly interior, that needed work. You can fix ugly, but fixing a cracked foundation or leaky basement- no thanks. Hence a house with good bones.
The only thing I instantly hated about our new house was the yard. The space was there, but grass and flat were not. It was wide, but not very long (we learned it is big, but mostly wooded - and I like that - and our property extends into our neighbor's front yard-- a lot). So we had room, and dirt, and not much grass.
Immediately we put up a fence and added onto the patio ( patio addition was for the hot tub that sat on it unused for 2 years- and it never had electric or ever ran- I got rid of it last fall). Last year we added the kids playset. But, the fact remains, this yard sucks. Lots of roots, a big slope, tire ruts from the idiots who trimmed the tree I hate, etc. so, here is our crap-tastic yard. I have no idea what I want it to be, but this is what I don't want - roots, dirt, rocks, and a giant stupid Silver Maple, who I would love if it did not keep all the sunlight from my yard. I love trees, but I HATE this tree.
Welcome to my yard....
This photo is take from our side door going outside.
Turning a little left
Nice broken rake- classy! And yes, I broke the stupid rake.
The "building" our see is our temporary shed, that has been up for 2 years. We really want a real shed.
Around our temporary shed is this delight - no grass all roots. More slope
(blue barrel is to be our rain barrel here one day)
This is looking at the yard from the to-be rain barrel. Stupid slope.
Oh yes, a d@mn root. I tried to remove some roots with a pick ax. After hours and a lot of sweat and 4 days of being sore, I decided I suck at the pick-ax. And I hate these god-forsaken roots.
See this beautiful 80+ year old Silver Maple.
I hate it.
It will take down my whole house one day.
And roots - yeah- lots. Higgins showing what he thinks of the tree.
Look a brick patio in the middle of nowhere?! I un-earthed it (literally) last year. Give me time and a power washer and I might be able to find you a brick patio.
Tire ruts... all over the back from the tree trimmer people. Like the moss? Yes we grow that and honeysuckle instead of grass and nice trees.
Look! A stump that still needs removed from an Apple Tree that gave us bugs and bee stings.
The Horrible slope - how much fill dirt will it take?
My Woods - This view I love year round.
Now for gratitious kids pictures....
Pretty CC
Connor hunting pill bugs
So, those pictures show you a little why I hate this yard. It's not kid friendly. The poor kids fall over either roots or poo (or their own feet). I want that plush grass where they can play or sit or day dream. This yard is not conducive to that. I am on a mission to improve it. Step 1 is remove stupid tree. I love trees. But, this tree has made me nervous from day 1. I fear the branches will fall on the kids, or the crack in it will fail and it will fall on our home. My family's safety trumps a tree. But, it still hurts to have to cut down that old beauty. I just wish the previous owners would have maintained it, now it's unmanageable and dangerous. Stupid tree, stupid roots, stupid slope, stupid dog poo, stupid back YARD! However, the patio and fence are pretty cool.... :)
Guess I need to start stalking that "Backyard Makeover" guy... This is one "Desperate Landscape."
Anyone have any ideas on how to help all this?!
No comments:
Post a Comment