Friday, November 19, 2010

A Wise Yoga Lady once Said "Open Yourself to Grace"

Open to Grace?  What the hell sorta new age yoga class have I sucked myself into.  Look lady, I'm just here for fitness not some weird western value lesson.  Three years later, I get it.  It's so simple, but many of us overlook things.

The mini-back ground.... me and my crazy yoga.  Before each class we have a theme, and create an intention for class.  Sort of like when you have a prayer intention, but for me, I just think of a person and send them a few extra happy thoughts for their day. 

Last Saturday's class had been very thought provoking to me. Which is good, I need more "deep thoughts" (thanks Jack Handy) and less "Why the hell does Diego have a GPS, but Dora uses that damn antiquated Map?" sort of thoughts. 

[Aside, "Map" is one of the 5 words CC says, along with Dora, Hi, Mama, and Dada.  At her well baby check on Monday we learned she needs to talk more (duh - must be Jeff's kid, cuz God knows I CAN TALK!), and she has grown almost 2 inches in 3 months.  Tall Kid (again Jeff's kid obviously).]

Back to the task at hand.... Open to Grace... I hope Irena (i.e Yoga Lady) does not mind me sharing and paraphrasing, and adding my own twist to her thoughts.  She began class with a story, an email we have all read at one time.  There is a flood, as the flood waters are rising, the man prays to God, "Dear God please save me!"  A boater floats by, "Sir, get in let me help you," the boater says.  The Man stays steadfast, "No thank you . God will save me."  Boater looks perplexed but moves on.  The flood waters rise, and the man prays to God again.  Soon after, the Coast Guard is there to save him.  Again, the man declines and says, "No God will Save me."  Finally the waters are so high he is on the roof of his home.  The rescue helicopter is hovering to save him, he again declines the rescue, saying "God will Save me."  Needless to say, the man ends up standing in front of St. Peter having drowned.  The Man asks, "I prayed to God, why did he not save me?"  St. Peter says, "God sent you a boater, the coast guard and a helicopter to save you. What else did you want?!"

Again, it's all about perspective.  Not only do we ask God or nature or whomever for small favors or prayers to be answered, we have to allow ourselves to receive the answer.  Hence, Opening to Grace.  You can ask the question, or pray the prayer, but you must be open to RECEIVE the answer.   That was pretty damn profound for me.  I have asked for many prayers to be answered, but how many times was there an answer and I was simply not open to receive it? Or ready to receive it?  Thought provoking, huh?  See where my mind has been all week?! Amazing.

So, as this holiday season approaches.  We open our hearts and homes to our families.  We open our wallets to find the perfect deal on Black Friday, but, remember to open yourself to Grace so you can receive gifts from others.  We are all ready to give love and friendship, but are you ready to receive it? 

I am always ready to help others, yet I find myself unwilling to accept help and kindness from others.  However, this week, I did.  A very kind friend, took it upon herself to offer me toys her boys have out grown.  Typically, I would say, "No, no. Give them to some kid who needs it."  As that is what I do, tons of things go to Goodwill from us, or I hand down to others.  But, this time, I said, "OK, Connor would LOVE that basketball game and bike!"  It felt good, like I finally let karma come to me to receive not just the material gifts, but the kindness and friendship behind them.  I am glad I said OK.  I forgot how nice it was to receive.  Good things will come to you, but are you ready to receive?

Now, I'm not saying be all greedy and such.  But, remember behind such actions are love and friendship and apparently it is OK to say YES, and THANK YOU for thinking my son.  Sometimes when we decline things, we also might be declining the act behind them.    

See, super thought provoking, I know!!!  Hope you enjoyed this rant.  Again, shameless kids pics for giggles. 

OK, so now you tell CC to smile and THIS is what you get:

This is Connor drawing with his new Crayon Fold from the Etsy shop by, Soultea.  Check her out she makes great things (shameless plug and she's not even paying me to plug her!)  Also, note that "short" side on Connors hair, yep - hair cut gone bad.  My Mom came and tried to fix it a day later. Poor kid....
 

1 comment:

  1. You inspire me! You couldn't have said it better :) I love CC's smile and Connor's haircut!

    ReplyDelete