We have 2 beautiful Dober-babies.
Magnum, my 10 year old snuggle buddy who is a "chi-wah-wah" trapped in the body of a big 80+ pound doberman. The first picture is the day Magnum met Higgins, think you can tell who is who. The second was their first Christmas together.
Higgins is my 7 year old dobie who still acts like a 2 year old pup. Too bad his hips remind him daily of his age. Goonie (Higs nickname) is currently fighting a nasty case of "elephant" skin. Sounds grosser than it is, but he's on some meds to help fix him. A few picture of Handsome Higgins, and their Christmas picture from last year.
Yes, please chuckle at their names, Magnum and Higgins. Yes, it's from Magnum, PI (really our Mag was named after a police dog, when Higgins came along his name was obvious). If you remember the show Magnum PI, it had 2 dobermans. Remember their names? (Zeus and Apollo) But, their names make sense, right? Irony- yeah?
ANYWAY, let my story possibly save you 4 vet visits, a 2 night stay at the Emergency Vet, and a bill that would equate to a nice weekend getaway. Nice like Las Vegas nice. Like 5days, 4nights, with airfare.
Background, Mag has a delicate stomach. We found out a very difficult way when he was 1 year old and had the "puppy poops" for 8 very long weeks. It took us 8 weeks to realize he was allergic to his lamb and rice dog food. Did I mention it was a LONG 8 weeks, filled with us wrapping his crate in drop cloths and tarp to keep the explosive poo contained. We teased he was "the puppy in the bubble" - sorta like "The Boy in the Bubble" but a little hairier. But, once we switched food, NO PROBLEM. We always heard lamb was gentle to the pups tummy, I guess is it, providing you are not allergic to it!!!!
Bottom line, Mag has a delicate stomach. (Did I mention that already?)
Last year, we hosted Thanksgiving. We had a TON of fun. Like most loving dog owners, we (Jeff and I)even gave the pups a little but of turkey and such. WE (again meaning Jeff and I)- had no idea how much other table food the dogs ate through out the day. Or if they helped themselves to the garbage can, dumpster dived, etc..... No clue. And honestly we did not think much of it. We noticed some nasty dog poos Fri and Sat but wrote it off as we knew the dogs most likely got more people food then their system was used too. Neither of us were too worried.
Higgins has a stomach like a steel drum. That dog could eat a tin can and be fine. I think he's part goat- he was born on a farm, so maybe. Goonie was acting himself on Sunday. But, Mag... Mag seemed a little off. He periodically whimpered (not normal), did not want to move, really did not eat much. Now, he did run around like an idiot all Thanksgiving, so again we wrote it off as Mags was just still tired. We decided to watch.
Monday, both dogs seemed OK. Mags still did this weird whimpering, but nothing too weird. At some point in the morning, he decided to "treat" himself to some "kitty bon-bons." EW and Gross, but it happens. And it happened so fast I could not stop him. He came down to greet me with a mouth full of litter; no denying what he had done. All of a sudden 20minutes later, he started panting, going in circles, could not get comfortable. Instantly I knew something was wrong (all that watching Emergency Vet on Animal Planet paid off!). Called the vet, we determined that Mag was in distress. I was working at home with BOTH kids, and both were napping. I woke up both kids, tossed my 3 mo old and 1 year old in the car, and raced to the vet to meet Jeff. Jeff took Mag in and the vets instantly took him back. It was just like vet ER.
Apparently, Mags tummy was already upset and inflamed from all his Thanksgiving Day feast - now add in kitty bon-bons wrapped in litter - it was all sitting in his tummy like a rock. We learned nothing was moving through his digestive track, he might have flipped his stomach. I always heard big dogs tummies could flip, this created paranoia in me. I was sooo paranoid that Jeff and I made a dog bowl stand for our dogs.
Back to the story....
We had a VERY SICK DOG. We were warned this might not end well. We were warned if our 9 year old dog needed emergency surgery his might not wake up. Jeff and I were both terrified and devastated. Not our baby Mag-Pie. Mag was a wedding gift to us from my 2 college roommates (shout out to Suz and Lars!). Best wedding gift EVER!
That afternoon, Goon, the kids and I were at home. I prayed to God, to St. Francis, got Mag on some prayer lists, alerted the families. We had everyone praying for this pup. Monday evening he was still so unstable that Jeff had to take him to the Emergency Vet for observation. Then in the morning Jeff picked him up to go back to our vet. It was touch and go for about 2nights, 3 days.
Finally, Wednesday evening the vet did more X-rays and things looked better in his gut. Mag did not bloat (thank GOD) and the vet said, "All the signs pointed to Mag having flipped his stomach, somehow, it seems to have reversed itself." The vet explained to Jeff and I that stomachs of big dogs like Mag just don't correct themselves. It was luck - or for me PRAYER. I really thought we were going to loose our big guy.
So, loving pet owners, as much as you want to give your puppies a treat during this holiday season, remember Magnum's story. If you are hosting a big event, probably LOTS of people are giving your pups some snacks (seriously how can you not with that cute ole puppy face staring at you?). Try to remind guests that your animals do not eat table food - if they want to give the dog a treat, let them give your dog a normal milk bone or the like, maybe even a cracker. Just watch out with all the rich foods we tend to have on the holidays. Just like toooo much rich food can hurt our tummies, and can also lead to a monstrous vet bill.
And I cannot forget the cats from hell. I even make them pose for Christmas pictures...
Happy Weekend!





No comments:
Post a Comment