Wednesday, November 10, 2010

National Adoption Awareness Month




I know my last few posts have been very introspective reminders to myself. But apparently you guys seem to get something out of them too...  Here this is another.

This month is National Adoption Awareness month.  Yes, it is also National Pancreatic Cancer Awareness month too (Pan Can is a great organization to donate to!). 
But, I'd like to focus on Adoption Awareness. Obviously, we have adopted and our road to adoption (like many others) was very unique. No adoption is the same, like no pregnancy is the same.  Similar, maybe, but never the same. 


Recently we met a new neighbor who is in the process of adopting her son.  Small world alert, they are using the SAME social worker we had- such a small world!!! Anyway, the little man is from Haiti and he has been with his forever family since January.  He's recently turned 2.  They picked him up when he was 1.5 years old- he lived in an orphanage before that.  From what I understand, most international adoptive kids do spend time in orphanages or with foster families- some much nicer than others.   I cannot even imagine...  
So if you can, say a little prayer of those little boys and girls who are still stuck in limbo waiting for their forever families.  Also, say a prayer for the families that they have the strength to keep jumping through hoop after hoop inorder to finally unite with their little one.  

I was send to a website that creates great t-shirts that say "Ordinary Hero"  or "I'm Gonna Change the World."  I get the ordinary hero reference for foster parents, but really aren't all parents just heroes?  Foster, adoptive, step, biologic?  We are all heroes not just in the eyes of our kids, but in the eyes of each other.  It takes a village, right? (OMG- I just felt my husband's internal eye roll to that reference- makes me giggle). But, this website donates to adoptive and foster families going through the process- very cool to help others in such a great way! 

And since I cannot post without a kiddo story...Poor CC is a snotty mess, it's all clear so I'm not impressed (via Dr. Kim's medical training).  But, trying to wrestle with her to use the snot sucker outter - EW.  I am lucky that this is the first time in 2 years I've really ever had to use it. And it's gross, and I do not even want to think of what is in there festering away.  Ewwwww.... But, little girl is all congested and snotty.  Poor thing.  

Then there is Connor, poor little Flintstone's toed kid.  Seriously his toes are Flintstone toes- just like his birth Mom's.  His big toes are prone to ingrown toe nails.  So, he has been fighting the snot too, plus boo-boo toe.  Last night it looked so bad, I had Jeff hold him down so I could inspect.  Needless to say, I touched it and (TMI ALERT) puss galore.  The good thing is his toe felt instantly better and today it's like no problem.  

Incase you are keeping score, this is what was on my sweatshirt prior to being washed last night:
1. Poo
2. CC snot
3. Connor Snot
4. Toe Puss
5. Higgins Eye boogers

Yeah, being a Mom is ALLLLLL about the glamor. And trust me, I'd rather be fixing a puss filled toe than debating to try another IVF cycle on not.  Blessing acknowledged, toe puss, poo and all.

HAPPY ADOPTION AWARENESS MONTH!!!!

Wow- that was rambling...sorry... Will do better next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment