It it the truth, I do, I surround myself with family, friends, and online friends that make me a better person. One of my online friends recently posted a blog update. Her and her DH (darling husband) are trying to do nice things for random strangers. Two of her ideas TOTALLY jumped out at me that I had to rush and tell Jeff we HAD to do this.
Idea #1 - Pay for the person's food behind you at a drive thru.
OK, I do not do many drive thru's but maybe I can attempt to try this at Chipolte or something. Random act of kindness- TOTALLY! Love this idea but I have never done it.
Idea #2- Tip 100% on a tab.
I am a good tipper. I worked in the restaurant business; it sucks waiting tables, serving drinks, slinging desserts around. It does, I remember it. Some people think all Americans should serve a year in the armed forces; I think all Americans should wait tables for 6 months at least once in their lives. You learn a lot about people and true customer service waiting tables. It's a tough business where you get paid pennies and have to be a) responsible, b) dependable and c) FRIENDLY or you are never going to make past $2.13/hr. With 2 kids, we make a MESS and I feel horrible for the wait staff, so we tip GREAT to offset the mess we created. But, one day this holiday season, we will find the perfect person to tip 100% to.
It's all the concept of paying it forward. A simple concept. But, oh how we all get wrapped up in ourselves and our own lives and forget. It's easy to do, and face it we all do it. I'm too much in a hurry to hold the door for the person behind me, I'm too stressed to deal with a crying kid who just wants to color, I'm too smart to have to stand behind this ya-hoo at the counter that doesn't know how to swipe their dang ATM card, I've talked to too many idiots today to help this poor lady try to fix her printer, etc, etc, so on and so forth.
We've all been there. We have. I've been the busy person and I've been the idiot the busy person is behind. But, what I WANT to be more times than not is 'That NICE person.' It's not hard to be nice, but it is hard to be nice at times when you just don't feel it. It's hard to be nice when you're having a rough time with life. But in honesty, I'm not always nice cuz I think I might just be lazy and too self-involved. So, yeah, I can be selfish. And that is not good. I'm going to try to be nicer. It will make ME a better person and it will hopefully help me raise 2 really nice and polite kids... or so I hope!
Let's be nice, let's be polite, let's remember what kindness is all about. Enter a store with a smile, make eye contact, say please and thank you. None of that will cost you a since red cent, but doing that 1 nice gesture, might just be a welcome change to the person you did it to. Then, they can can be nice to another person and so on and so forth.
Yes, in my little Pollyana world, people are nice, we all get along, and things are hunky dorey. No news reports of babies being shaken to death because they were bothering Mom's Farmville time, no report of a lady being pushed on the ground and stomped on at a polical rally because she was "from the other side of the fence," no reports of people randomly hurting or killing others. God, why couldn't these people have taken a moment to be nice. Like the good book says, Do unto Others, or What comes around goes around (ok maybe that did not make it into the Sermon on the Mount but it could have!). :)
Now random kid pictures....
| Channeling her inner Linda Blair |
| Laid Back |
| Rocking the Pig Tails |
| Kindness |
Oh, and have a Happy Halloween!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment