Tuesday, July 2, 2013

10:23pm

So, what the heck. 10:23pm and that child is still up.  A gazillion potty breaks later, I'm just as perplexed as ever. And I want that child to go to sleep. Her sleeping issues are really driving me a little batty. I know, it's a phase, but it can end at any time.

Today, was not the kind of parenting day I signed up for. Today, was one of those days, while walking alone in my garage, about to enter my house full of screaming, angry little people, I thought, "What the hell was I thinking? Was I supposed to be a Mom?" 

Immediately, the thought was there and gone. Luckily, that infertile girl who still lives in my head, immediately kicked the MOTHER thinking these thoughts. They were truly fleeting, thankfully. I then thanked my lucky stars and felt 100% grateful for my beloved children.

Then I entered the house, the angelic children were little demons.  The only thing missing was someones head spinning around spewing pea soup.   Crying, screaming, flailing, and a limp child lay on the floor in the midst of a tantrum (different than last weeks tantrum brought on by her brother declining her offer to SMELL HIS TEETH!!!!).

But, really, What.the.hell.

I have no idea what happened today, but it was like the three of us woke up, not just on the wrong side of the bed, but the wrong side of the world. As soon as our respective feet, hit our floors, it was like our crappy game faces were on. We were set to drive each other a little crazy.

It began with a little girl, drawing on my wall with lip liner; then a little boy chucking a sippy cup (and making contact) with the face my little Picasso.  I pretty well stood there, yelling like a lunatic, wondering what the heck was going on.  This was all before 8:00am. 

Thinking clearly, I put Curious George on pause, and marched each of us back to our rooms.  One by one, I went to each room with a smile and a new good morning.  A fresh start number 2. You know, something a great Mom does.

I'd love to say it changed our whole moods and actions towards each other. But, I'd be a liar.

All, day all three of us were simply off. Not in sync at all.  I knew I did not sleep enough last night, I was on the edge of tired and crabby all day. A crabby Mom is not a happy Mom.

But, the kids? Good Lord, those kids. If Hallmark made a movie like our day was today; I doubt new or potential Mom's would think, "Wow, that looks great!"

Today, was a little slice of hell. Was it the worst day ever? Heck no.  And trust me I TRIED and TRIED to get perspective.  It was like we all three were just stuck in a rut of a poopy day. Blah.

By the end of my work day, I asked the kids, honestly, do we just need a day together?

The answer was overwhelmingly, yes. A yes with a smile and a hug.  God, I love their little hugs.

All day, I felt these little hints.  A voice in the back of my head kept whispering, they just need YOU.   Not a sitter taking them somewhere, but a day with Mom. A day with a relaxed Mom focusing 100% on them; and everyone having fun.  So, I made it happen.  Tomorrow, I will not work, I will not clean.  We will eat breakfast then go on an adventure.  It seems we all three need this break.

Here is hoping tomorrow is a better day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment