Friday, July 12, 2013

Do The Right Thing

Dang. I thought I had it all figured out.

We have been on an adoption wait list for two months, waiting for our perfect Doberdog to find us.  Then, I got impatient.  I have spent weeks searching Petfinder. Last week, someone new was on there.  A sweet little red dobie mix.  He was in a shelter a couple hours away.  Found stray, pedigree unknown.  Maybe a Doberman and Hound mix.  What a cutie.

I called the shelter, filled out their adoption form and waited.  Then we found out we were accepted. Instead of elation, my gut response was, "Are we really ready?"

I told Jeff we were accepted, instead of the reaction he had when Magnum and Higgins found us, he gave me the "let me think about it."  Right then, a red flag raised.

I showed this little picture to family and friends of our possible new addition.  In my head I kept thinking of reasons WHY this was not a good idea.  Not thinking of where should he sleep, what food will he like, what puppy training classes do we want to attend.  Nothing. 

Almost 2 years after Mag's passing, I thought I was ready.  Maybe I am, but my gut knew that little guy wasn't for us.  I do at least give myself kudos for putting my toe in the water of dog adoption.  It made me really think about why I am doing this.

I feel I need to do something.  I wonder if it's because my baby boy is going off to all day kindergarten, and my little lady will be going next year.  Or is it my furry baby will be 10 this year.  I fear the day I come home and there is no tall furry four legger there to greet me.

In my mind, a puppy right now would be good for Higgins and it would ease my mind of a gap. You know, the no dog gap. I have had a dog for my whole life.  Each of them found me somehow.  Yet, I kept trying to force this. 

My initial childhood dog, Dirty Face, was a white poodle.  I was young, we did not get alone real well.  But, I am sure my Mom loved him.  Then one day, he went on a ride and never came back.  Soon after, Missy, a peek-a-poo, found Mom and I.  Missy lived until I was in college.  Mom and I were there the day she passed; it was so very sad.  I loved that little cow of a dog.

Right before we got married, Magnum found us, via wedding gift.  Three years later, Higgins was added to our family.  For both of those guys, we just had word of mouth that we were looking for a Doberman.  They found us.  I did not really search for them.

So, the point of all this rambling?  It's more for me to work though calling a shelter asking them to pull our adoption application.  I felt horrible.  But, I'd rather be sensible and pull my adoption, then force something my family was not ready for. I know the pup will find a home, he seems awful sweet.

Jeff and I should not be "making a deal" to agree for another dog.  Either we both are on the same page, or we need time until the pup finds us.   I know that is the right thing to do, but it's just tough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment