Monday, July 15, 2013

Holy Heat Wave- Playing with Ice Blocks

From the Ohio Valley to Maine, it's freaking HOT.

Looking at Connor, dressed in full Spiderman ensemble, you would not know that.
In an attempt to stay cool,  I took an idea I have seen from all over the web.  It's FREE and I thought it might be fun.  Let's say it was a HIT.

Here goes....

Get a container, fill it with small kid toys, add water and freeze. Depending on the size of the container, you can end up with a massive ice block that needs to be thawed.  I had the kids look at it scientifically, asking, "How can we get everything out?"

Leave it to an almost 5 year old, he stomped on it then picked it up the smash it.  It broke into three pieces.  Then I let them use a hammer -- seriously, what kid doesn't want to smash things with a hammer?!

I showed them how we could use the hose to melt the small sections, and such.  After about 20 minutes ( I was hoping for a longer activity), all toys were freed!  Then, I was surprised, they then spent a while just playing with this little toys, that would otherwise be sitting in a bin somewhere.

I ended up making a giant ice block using a 9x13 Rubbermaid like container.  The container did not break at all, it was easy to "free" the ice block after letting it sit on our counter for a couple minutes.

After nap, I still have two small blocks for them to break.

The only thing is, this does require a large amount of freeze time, so you'd need to make this a night before.

I asked the kids if they had fun, they both agreed!  Then, I asked, what would you like to see frozen next?  Connor's response, "MY SHOES!"  Only that kid... LOL! 

But, enjoy our pictures of how to beat this heat!!!!

Connor wondering, "How shall I destroy this?"

The big container I used

Mini-Containers - Connor's is basically super heroes, CC's is penguins

STOMP!


Hammer!

Here, CC, let me try...
SMASH!

Ariel is almost free! Strawberry Shortcake is free!


Then they played...and played

and played....

Happy CC

Happy Connor!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment