Monday, February 4, 2013

A Penguin, A Frog, A Snowman, A Crown and A Fever

Hello February.  You came in and brought more illness.  The Connor virus that took me down on my birthday weekend, attacked Jeff.  He was down for almost 40 hours.  Poor guy just slept and slept while burning with fever.  It was horrible.  But, luckily, he's now on the other side of this!

However, while Daddy was sick, it was all Mommy all the time.  I knew I had to step up my game.  It snowed all weekend, but it was blistering cold.  Since Connor and I were just over the virus, and poor CC had/has a hacking cough, I was all about keeping everyone inside and WELL.

First thing Friday morning, Connor decided he was going to be my helper.  I had to snap a quick photo of this, even if it only lasted a few moments.... (It was 8 degrees, I cannot blame him!). What a sweetheart, he was trying to shovel a path for Higgins.  I typically do it, so Higgins has a safe path to the yard (he has bad knees and can use a cleared path).  Isn't Connor so kind to his pup?

 
Friday evening, we had a pizza picnic, a fire and watched Brave.  The kids really enjoy that movie, and so do I.  I had no idea all I had to do was put down and old sheet and let the kids pick out "festive" plates (we ate on Christmas plates and used Happy Feet napkins).  We had a ball!  While poor Jeff was still in bed sick, we were living it up!  That was until 9pm, when the party ended. 


Saturday started bright and early.  Thanks to an early Connor wake up call.  Rather than fight it, Connor, Ceese and I began our day. I decided to download Hotel Transylvania for the kids.  I keep a stash of the kids Christmas gifts on a shelf on the basement, they are to be opened/played with later in the year.  The kids just get so much, and are so overwhelmed at Christmas.  Rather than having a giant pile of "stuff" that gets forgotten/ignored, I pull some stuff aside for later.  Later is typically a snow day, or a day I need them to be amused when I have to work and do not have child care, or something.  The kids seem ok with it, and it's like a new surprise all over again. Win-Win!

So, we opened up some modeling clay, a spinning art toy, and pulled aside a soap making kit for bath time.       Luckily, the modeling clay was a HIT.  However, it quickly turned into, "Mommy please make me a -----." I ended up making a penguin holding a heart, a frog with a heart, a cat (?) and a snowman.  If you ask the kids, I made the snowman, Connor made the frog, and Ceese created the penguin and cat (?).  They did try to make things, the clay seemed a little less pliable and made it a bit difficult for them.  But, here are our creations...

 


Not bad, considering I have never used modeling clay before!  Then Ceese decided to pose for me.



 
Yep, she is a beauty!  Next up, the paint spinning thing.  We ended up playing with this for a few hours. It was pretty fun and not near as messy as I anticipated.  Except the glitter, we will find glitter for years; however, that was bound to happen anyway :)




Here is a picture of all our creations of the morning.... Yes, morning. From 8:00am until nap time at 12:00pm.  We were going strong.
 
After our lunch, the kids relaxed to finish watching Hotel Transylvania (a second time), I snapped these pictures.


Yep, totally tuned out kids.  They napped and I decided to craft (that is a different post).  I had the house decorated for Valentine's Day when they woke up.  And Jeff made an appearance, he finally felt better.

We ended our craft day with a bath and the soap kit (not quite as fun as we hoped), and watched the movie a THIRD time. 

Sunday, Jeff was alive and well!  FINALLY!! All day, Calista was asking to make a Valentine's Day Crown.  She saw this on an episode of her show, Doc McStuffin.  While the kids napped, I got all the supplies.  Later in the day, I cut out the crowns from poster board and the kids decorated with stickers.  Here are those creations:




 
Honestly, I was not sure how our weekend was going to go.  The kids and I had fun, Jeff got better, it was a nice weekend at home.  You have to enjoy those moments that end up surprising everyone and turns into a great memory for all.  Well, except for Jeff, I'm pretty sure he would like to forget his 2 days of hell.  Poor guy, but he is much better now!


No comments:

Post a Comment