For our coutdown to Valentine's Day, I've been decorating the door to each child's room. They love getting up each morning to find their new heart and to count the number of hearts on their door. This has been such a hit, looks like I might do Shamrock's for March. No, this is not my brain child, I found this idea on Pinterest. :)
Then, was day 6, Monday, when I outted myself to my Facebook friends that I am trying to be scream/yell free towards and AT my beloved little people. Then was day 7..................
Oh, day 7..... You were a challenge.
Oh bedtime. So.much.of.a.challenge.
But, we all survived. And one of us learned a bit, because, face it, this little no yelling adventure is a learning process for me.
Situation, CC. Yes, she is her own little personal situation, like all little girls can be. I have to catch her a bit of a break, she's progressing through that ugly 3 years old phase, and has a brother that can annoy. Apparently, this is normal with siblings. I grew up with no one "touching my stuff," so I can see how others moving your stuff and trying to run over My Little Pony with Captain America's tank, can be very upsetting.
Little Miss decided to not be the most cooperative child last evening at bed time. She was placed in bed after a potty trip and a drink, butterfly kisses, Eskimo kisses, 2 books, and song, etc. Then another potty trip, only one more kiss- this is when Mommy was starting to lose her Zen. I had to leave her room... CC's new found, "Let's delay bedtime" tactics are not going over well with me.
Her room is illuminated with an outdoor Christmas Penguin decoration.
| Big, giant seasonal penguin |
She also has her flash light, her soothy, a myriad of books, a plethora of penguins, a bushel of blankets (maybe not a whole bushel, but a LOT), and a few other random things ON HER BED. Last night, after the last delay tactic of, "I hafa go poop" Mommy was ready to loose it. Luckily, I was calm, but let her do it on her own. I choose not to be a participant in the "Let's go potty" event CC was trying to make this. Without my participation, the event was short lived. Then Mommy has to leave before she broke into reading her beloved little girl the book, Go the F%$! to Sleep. Yes, it was time for me to leave.
As I went downstairs to catch up on my DVR'ed shows, I kept hearing her in her bed. Then the monitor confirmed by 10pm she was still flitting around her bed.
I knew one thing *might* be keeping her up. Her little soothy (the thing that projects an image on her ceiling and plays music), had a low battery. This causes it to turn off quickly. Knowing this, I brought up a screw driver and batteries to solve this issue. (Truthfully, I brought up C and D batteries because I can never remember which size each basted kid toy takes. Would it be that hard for the toy peeps to make that stuff universal?!)
I entered CC's room, and REALLY wanted to pull the stern voice of, "Lay down, keep your head on the pillow and GO.TO.SLEEP." This would result in tears from her and then me being frustrated with me. So, I took a deep breath and looked at Little Miss. With tears in her eyes she asked, "Can you get my Abby Bunny for me?"
Me: "Of course! Have you stayed in your bed this whole time?"
CC: "yes."
Me: "Great job CC staying in bed! (an old bedtime rule from days of the toddler bed transition) Let me get Abby for you, and change the batteries on your soothy."
Five minutes later (if that) the moment was over, more kisses, and CC settled in.
I checked the monitor 10 minutes later, she was sacked out. All the little one wanted was her Abby and soothy fixed. And here, two weeks ago, I would have gone in like a raving lunatic wondering why the heck she was fighting sleep- because you know yelling at a non-sleeping child is SOOOO productive.
Look at me. Self-growth. Way to go me. Kind of pathetic, but, it was a small little learning moment.
THEN CAME 3 am....................................................................
CC woke up screaming, about the dark and penguins (she has evil penguin dreams), I brought her in bed with me, 45 seconds later Connor was in my room... Nope, this is where all logic defies me. Between the hours of 2am and 6am- I really just want SLEEP. I was grumpy.
While I did not yell, I was stern with each kid - and I felt GUILTY. I was terrified of the dark as a kid, I still remember that feeling. I do not want my kids to have that helpless feeling. But, at 3am... I just want sleep. I took CC back to her room, put on her soothy and gave her a flash light. I never heard another peep from her. I took Connor to his room, he fought me a bit, but layed down with his super bright night light on.
I laid down and felt guilty that I made them face the night alone. In my head, I thought I should have let them just sleep on our floor- not the bed- if that would have let them feel safer. I drifted to sleep as I had that thought, and so did the kids. No crying from anyone, so I did something right.
Now, I am tasked with dealing with this goofy scared of the dark thing. I guess for CC, I will leave her giant penguin yard art on all night --- just wasting electricity. But if it soothes her, I need to just suck that up. Connor, he needs a new night light, since of his has died.
Success at bedtime and at 3am. I never would have guessed it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now copious amount of photos on things I've been up to, besides not yelling...
1. Making curtains for Connor. His request one Batman and one Spiderman Curtain. He saw no decorative use in having them match. Well, so be it.
2. New throw blanket and Batman throw pillow for Connor's "super hero" themed room.
| New Avengers/ Spiderman throw for his bed and a Batman Pillow |
| The blanket, a little closer |
3. New princess throw for CC.
| CC's new Princess Blanket |
No comments:
Post a Comment