Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Always Wear a Penguin Hat to Penguin Parade Days

Every January, our Zoo has Penguin Days.  Twice a day the King Penguins travel from the Bird House to the Children's Zoo to hang out.  There is nothing like seeing a King Penguin just walking down the road, walking, stopping, periodically flipping their flippers. It is pretty cool. 

Last year when we visited the Zoo during Penguin Days, I was 99% sure CC was ready to run up and hug a penguin.   I was terrified she was going to get busted by Zoo security.  Three year old accosts penguin.  I could see the headline on the evening news.

On a cold, Sunday afternoon, I finally got my family out of the house.  My goal was to make the penguin march at 2:30pm.  Did I mention it was COLD. Like 35 degrees cold -- perfect penguin weather.

We entered the Zoo to be greeted with beer (yay for the Watering Hole being open) and sleet. I told the family, we could leave as soon as the parade was over.  Especially if the sleet kept up.  We walked through the bamboo forrest, past the Red Pandas and ended up at the Children's Zoo (did you read it like Buddy the Elf in the movie Elf??).  A small crowd was around the penguins. 

Calista busted her way in to talk to "her people."

CC talking to her "King" friends

CC, BB King and maybe Carol King? Or is that Elvis the King?


We learned all of our King Penguins are named after King.  ANYWAY, let's get back to the story.


After hanging at with her penguins, I thought we should get a nice spot on the parade route.  As we began to settle in, the keepers came walking by.  I took CC with me to see what they were talking about, as I figured Connor followed.  We ditched Jeff with the stroller.  Much to my surprise, the keeper was looking for a volunteer to hold the parade banner. I am NOT one to self promote, or do the whole, "PICK ME! PICK ME!" thing. But, THIS was the Penguin Parade (and there were like 20 people there).  I frantically began pointing down to CC for the keeper to choose.  All I could think was, "Pick the kid in the penguin hat!" Totally forgetting I was the MOM in a PENGUIN HAT (yep, borrowed it from CC). The keeper chuckled and picked Connor, CC and another little boy.

This was the point CC became totally overwhelmed and just emotionless.

We were able to watch the penguins waddle from their enclosure, as we followed them holding our "Wings of Wonder" banner with pride!
Yeah Baby!! Penguin Parade Banner Leaders!
Yes, I am laughing Mom, so excited for her little Penguin lover!
 
The Kings
Baby King Charlemagne
 
So, as we walked into the Bird House to deliver the penguins to their exhibit, the keeper, Cody, asked the banners holder to stick around after the question and answer session. He had a surprise for them. 
 
OK, I was thinking, "Oh cute, a penguin sticker, Connor and CC will love it!" Seriously, I figured it was a sticker or another small trinket. Oh, I was so very wrong.
 
After the penguin question and answer session, the keeper called us aside.  He lead us to a door.  I figured we were going to the office, maybe a coupon for a free snack from the Zoo? He then proceeded to explain since this was the first Penguin Parade weekend, he was taking us into the exhibit to see the penguins. Connor and CC were oblivious, I was tickled pink with excitement!
 
It was just like this video CC and I watched numerous times last year. It showed how the Penguins exited their exhibit to get to the parade route.  I know she recognized the little brown ramp the penguins walk up and down like I did.
 
After placing our shoes in a disinfection (?) thing, we went INTO the exhibit. There were two Rock hopper Penguins jumping in the water swimming around.  We were so close Connor got splashed.
 
The keeper huddled us on a small platform. Penguins all around and a bird (I forget what) was perched right above us. It was AMAZING.
 
We were so close, I was totally paranoid Connor was going to go all 4 year old and want to walk around and end up in the water. Luckily, he did not. CC was still just paralyzed with overwhelming emotion.
 
I thought Jeff was going to miss the whole thing. Last I saw him was at the parade. I figured he was waiting outside for us. Luckily, we were gone long enough he got cold and decided to enter into the Bird House and got to our area just as we entered the exhibit. I am so happy he snapped these pictures.
 

Look we are IN with Penguins
See that little guy swimming? He was a splasher.
 
Me holding Connor, CC still stone faced.
 
Charlemagne felt like the softest down. It was amazing.
Wow.
Stone faced CC
After this last photo, Charlemagne got a little frisky and accidentally hit Connor and Calista with his flippers.  I found it hysterical. Connor's take on it was, "I got hit by a penguin flipper!"  I know, not something you can say everyday.
 
 
It was just amazing. I am SO happy Jeff got cold and was able to see the kids and I up there. I never dreamed that was were our day was going.  I figured Jeff and I would grab a beer, the kids would enjoy the penguin parade and we'd hit the gift shop to spend some Christmas money (CC was in the market for a Rock hopper Penguin stuffed animal).
 
I had no idea the memory we would make that day.  It was incredible. 
 
Now, if you ask CC about it, she gets so excited and will tell you all about our adventure. She was just soaking it all in on Sunday.  I knew she was just too excited. 
 
What can I say, we have an awesome Zoo and we were very lucky to be chosen.  My tip to you, always wear a Penguin hat on Penguin Parade Day.


1 comment: