Friday, January 11, 2013

That Kid.


Y'all know "that kid." 

You know that kid, he's the one during the Christmas Concert who is up there making faces, and in general being a big giant goofball.

You know that kid, the one who is first or last in line to make sure he stays by his teachers.

You know that kid, the one with the infectious smile and laugh that just makes your heart melt.

You know that kid, the one who throws himself on the ground or hits his own head doing physical comedy to make his classmates or sister laugh?

You know that kid who has a massive meltdown (nap or not) when you dare to say, "We are going to skip the toy aisle today at Target..."

You know that kid who screams she wants to put on her own shoes with "NO!HELP!MOMMA!" Then becomes a sobbing mess when she realizes her sock is twisted and the shoe is on the wrong foot and needs your help, RIGHT!NOW!!!!!

You know the kid who is unnaturally awesome at baseball at the age of two, and by four decides he wants to play football?

You know the kid who is an absolute angel at school, then loses it three seconds after entering her house because the dog had the nerve, to lick her hello?

You know the kid, the one who ALWAYS forgets to flush the toilet?

You know the kid, who want to do "big kid" things, but then runs back to you when things get scary?

You know the kid, who wants to always help, except when it involves cleaning his/her room.

Everyone knows that kid - the one thrashing on the ground at any given store? You know the Mom, she is the one standing there waiting for that meltdown to end. Maybe you see her smile through gritted teeth saying something to the child like, "If you choose to vomit on this floor right now, I choose to not get you this Happy Feet 2 book."

Yes, "that kid." I am the parent of "that kid."  Sometimes it's, "that kid" who was super cute and nice in the grocery store helping Mom.  Sometimes it's that kid skipping down the aisle, running into your cart, with her Mom trying to catch up with her.  Sometimes, it's the child possessed by the devil a la The Exorcist. 

It's tough being that kid's Mom.  Last month, I was sitting in a church trying to command every muscle in my body to sit, while I watched my son be a general goofball during a Christmas concert.  To anyone who saw him, I know they were amused.  I would have been too, had it not been my guy.  Instead, I got super frustrated.  Then I went now Crappy Parenting Avenue telling him I was disappointed in his behavior and he should have not participated if that is what he was going to do.  Then I, of course, pulled out the Santa card.  On Crappy Parenting Avenue, we do things like that.

If I was on Good Parenting Lane, I would have said how brave he was for standing up there, and how it must have been hard.  I should have said how I heard him practice at home so much, why didn't he sing? Did he forget his words? 

Nope, I didn't go there. But, I should have.

Had I gone on, Accept your Child for Who They Are Road, I would have acknowledged that he loves the spot light and LOVES being the center of attention.  I would have tried to have re-focused his energy to the task at hand. Saying, "It's OK to be silly and goofy, but now was a time to sing with your class." If I was on that road, I would have had that discussion with him weeks leading up to the concert to prepare him in case he was overwhelmed.

Nope, I basically broke his little heart telling him how sad Mommy was that he did not participate well.  Not even pondering the "why" behind his behavior.  Why, he's 4 - he loves being a little silly guy to make people smile.  And he did, he made probably a bunch of people smile during the 30 minute Christmas show. 

So, it is official, I'm that parent with that child. Some days, I am the parent I said I would never be with the child I thought I would never get to parent.  Some days, I parent exactly how I said I would, with the perfect angel child beside me.

Amazing how perspective will change, and it will probably change again in the years to come. I just hope to keep learning while parenting "that kid, and that other kid."  I will keep learning because I love that kid, and that other kid.  I am happy and blessed to be that parent of that kid  --- unless it involves vomit, then you need to find "that Daddy."


 

No comments:

Post a Comment