Salt Dough
I used the recipe from this website (I halved it and there was PLENTY to play with)
http://homemadegrits.blogspot.com/2009/12/handmade-christmas-homemade-ornaments.html
Ingredients4 cups flour
1 cup salt
1 1/2 cups water
Directions
Combine ingredients and knead dough for 15 to 20 minutes
Roll out, and make shapes
Bake at 300ºF about 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. You may have to bake considerably longer depending on how thick your items are. They may not feel hard right away but will harden as they cool.
tip: make sure to use a nonstick surface, or spray cookie sheet with pam.
| CC rolling it out (she even has penguin Pjs, I know) |
| Connor's turn |
| Shapes- We used play-doh shape cutters and cookie cutters |
| Ready to bake |
| Snack time while they bake |
| Finished |
| Pretty |
Next kid activity up is a little more messy.
Shaving Cream Paints
Ingredients
Empty muffin tin
Shaving cream
Food coloring
Paint Brushes
Kids in a bath tub
Method: Put a glob of shaving cream in the muffin tin, add 1 drop of food coloring (more will stain your kid and grout- consider yourself warned). Mix. Give to child to create art.
This idea came from Pinterest, but I cannot find the original link :(
Calista LOVES doing this; we have painted about 4 times. Now, she will get the muffin tin, hands it to me and says, "PAINT!" We are running out of shaving cream so, I need to get to the store.
| Our "Paints" |
| CC paints |
| Connor- only paints on walls and CC- NEVER himself. |
| More Art- She enjoys painting her hands and toes |
| The Paint Holder Great shot of me, thanks Jeff... |
1. Muffin tins will not float long. I learned that our first time doing this and all our "paint" floated away.
2. Using too much food coloring will stain skin and grout (my grout did turn back to white with some Clorox clean-up, but I did enjoy the purple color for a bit).
3. The bath water gets yucky- so I do drain 1/2 of it when we complete painting.
4. After rinsing off the "art" with your removable shower nozzle (if you have one), ensure it's SNUG back up and does not fall at hit your daughter's skull to create a major boo-boo (sorry CC)
This is FUN and easy to clean up! Really! The kids loved it more than their glow stick bath.
Those are a couple of our latest adventures in kid fun. I'm not sure what's up next!
No comments:
Post a Comment