I was determined to make Magnum's last day filled of joy. Connor and CC both gave him lots of treats and gave the best giggles each time his gentle muzzle took food from their hand. He was able to leave his kids with good memories. Jeff came home and gave Mag want he really wanted, a beer. It was funny as can be. That dog has always loved beer. My, being the idiot I am, had the thought of, "Will the beer have a drug interaction with the other stuff?" Quickly, I laughed at myself. After our afternoon of treats and sunshine, the time was near.
| Some Sausage for you, and one for me |
| I love CC's smile in this one |
| Gentle Giant |
| Graham cracker |
| The softest mouth ever, always gentle |
| Sharing Miller Lite |
With heavy hearts we took Magnum to go rest. Our favorite vet was there, she agreed that it was the right time once she saw Magnum and the look in his eyes. Mag rested on his dog bed and enjoyed a few pieces of cheese (thanks for the suggestion Brea!). We were sad but we really were all relaxed. When the time came, Mag drew his last breath and the room was blanketed with peace. It sounds so odd. But, really Jeff and I both felt it. Immediately, I felt a light touch of this giant paw on my right shoulder. I know that sounds all Ghost Whisper and New Age-ie. I felt it. I felt my dog was happy and at peace. That moment I knew I had listened to my dog. I knew we did exactly what Magnum asked.
In my heart, I know my Magnum is really at peace. He is in the sky with the angels. Connor and I blew kisses to him last night. Our friend Lori saw Magnum in the stars last night too. He's just letting us know it's OK and he is better now. I am glad we had to courage to do what was right for our beloved Mag-pie. He will be missed, but we will all be reunited again one day.
As I type, Higgins is resting in Magnum's dog bed. I am so glad Higgins is still able to have a piece of his beloved companion. Magnum had 3 years of us all to himself before Higgins joined our family. Now he has passed the torch to Higgins. It's now the little pups time to be top dog. Because Magnum would want it that way.
Again, thank you all for your prayers and healing thoughts - we felt them all.
I am copying a poem and a prayer I found that really helped me see with Magnum's eyes those last few days. Just remember they are here is you ever need to read them. I am not sure who the authors are, but I hope they do not mind me sharing them.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A PETS PLEA
If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep
Then you must do what must be done
For this, the last battle, can't be won.
You will be sad- I understand
Don't let your grief then stay your hand
For this day, more than all the rest
Your love and friendship stand the test.
We've had so many happy years
What is to come can hold no fears
You'd not want me to suffer, so
When the time comes, please let me go.
I know in time you too will see
It is a kindness you do to me
Although my tail, it's last has waved
From pain and suffering I've been saved.
Don't grieve that it should be you
Who has decided this thing to do
We've been so close, we two these years
Don't let your heart hold any tears.
A PARTING PRAYER
Dear Lord, please open your gates
and call St. Francis
to come escort this beloved companion
across the Rainbow Bridge.
Assign him to a place of honor,
for he has been a faithful servant
and has always done his best to please me.
Bless the hands that send him to you,
for they are doing so in love and compassion,
freeing him from pain and suffering.
Grant me the strength not to dwell on my loss.
Help me remember the details of his life
with the love he has shown me.
And grant me the courage to honor him
by sharing those memories with others.
Let him remember me as well
and let him know that I will always love him.
And when it's my time to pass over into your paradise,
please allow him to accompany those
who will bring me home.
Thank you, Lord,
for the gift of his companionship
and for the time we've had together.
And thank you, Lord,
for granting me the strength
to give him to you now.
Amen.
| Magnum's Paw Print Garden Stone we made |
Brings it all back…the sadness AND the peace. *tears* You done good dog mama…you gave your best friend the rest he so desperately needed.
ReplyDelete