Friday, August 19, 2011

Not So Sure It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year...

Back in February of 2011, I thought it would be a good idea to look into pre-school for Connor.  He needs a little socialization, a little "me" time, a little time away from Mom.  We found a great school -- in the same buidling I went to pre-school.  You know,  back when bell-bottoms and disco were all the rage. (Sing with me..."Macho-macho man! I want to be a macho man!" Yes, back in the day when straight ladies thought the Police Officer of the Village People was hot and had no idea he was not into them- whoops-- off topic. And, yes I did actually just google "Were the Village People gay?" And YES, the cop and indian are openly gay, where as the other members are straight - who knew? Not me, I wondered if it was an Urban Myth, but Google knew :) ). BACK to the original point of this blog...

The building felt strangely like home. We looked at 3 different facilities all with a little different focus. But, my old school felt right (and facebook friends, a friend even posted a picture of us when we were 3 at the SAME school).  When we received the information for class tims, we discovered they had a 2 year old class the same time as the 3's! SIGN THE KIDS UP! What a great idea! Both kids get their own time away from Mom and with their peers. Great idea! Pre-school, should be fun! We can learn to share and not hit and not be general little Tazmainian Devils! (colors, shapes and scolastic things I can handle, behvaior is not my thing)

The logistics of drop off and pick up are a little messy. But we should be able to handle that.  The kids do a Christmas Show- seriously, how stinking cute will that be, they do saftey week, they get to do cool things 2 and 3 year olds love! Paints, glitter, using scissors, sharing, woo-hoo Fun- Fun- FUN!!!!

Then came Parent Orientation. I recognized some Mom's that I went to high school with, others from around town, and THEN I met a Mom like me. She has a 3 year old and a 2 year old too.  So, I'm not the only crazy in the bunch with kids close in age.  But, something happened as I was listening to Calista's teacher. Seeing if the class was peanut free or not; how they handle metldowns, poopy diapers, and such. I realized I was not 100% ready for pre-school.  As independent of a Mom as I am, I'm feeling a little hesistant. I did NOT expect that. I figured I'd be like the lady in the Staples commerical singing, "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" while chucking pens and crayons in the shopping cart, dancing down the shopping ailse. Apparently, I'm not. i'm ready to figure out how we can do circle time at home. Where it's safe. Instead, they tell me my kids can't bring their beloved "B's" to school, and CC might want to leave her beads at home.  You might as well stab me in the heart.  No dragging around B and grey-kitty-meow-meow for Connor? No beads or a Peng-peng or 2 for CC?  What the hell was I thinking? These kids don't need school and socialization, they just need their Momma. And we can live happily.ever.after in our secret underground lair, with a moat, and a dragon to keep out the others (think like that movie Encino Man was in with Alicia Silverstone - Blast from the Past maybe? or Maybe I can go all "The Others" and raise the kids to think it's like the 1800's when it's really 2011.)

Alone with my babies - perfect...That is until they drive me nuts. Wait, maybe "they" need this.

I never expected was my knot in the gut feeling of taking my kids to school and leaving them.  I think I might start to have a special place for grey-kitty-meow-meow and a few peng-pengs in my office. If I am a mess at thinking of pre-school, how in the world will I handle college in a short 15 years?!

Sersiously, how can you not miss these cute little faces?
 


No comments:

Post a Comment