Fast forward 12months 26days... It was an ordinary day for an infertile 38week pregnant lady. I had asked a friend's daughter to watch Connor for me so I could just focus on work and being pregnant. There was weird "stuff" going on. But, I swung by the doctor's and they said nothing interesting was happening yet. So, I went back to work and my 12 month old son.
I remember going on a walk, and having weird pains... I remember eating my last brownie hot fudge Sunday while laying in bed watching crap TV. I remember waking up at 11:45pm to the worst pains I have ever had. Then I remember crawling a lot. Jeff called the doctor ("Give it an hour then call me back" was his advice) and an hour later things still were sucky and I was crawling and near death (or so it felt). His Mom came over to watch Connor. I think he called my Mom. All I remember was feeling like complete crap - this labor stuff is NOT for the weak. Leaving the house, I recall that hump from our driveway to the street must have been a 4 ft drop cuz that almost made the unnamed child in my womb fly out.
I remember the irony of knowing the ER nurse that wheeled me up to the OB floor, I remember getting out of the wheelchair and promptly vomiting all over. Note to self, hot fudge brownie is not as good on the way up. I remember our cheerful nurse who stated that some lucky women, about to give birth vomit, all over. Yeah me, I was lucky. No really, I was. The vomit party was sucky, but holy cow I was going to deliver a baby. Eventually, once they gave me drugs. The good drugs, not that stuff they just gave me that did nothing. OK, it helped with the vomit, but not the pain.
I remember the epi-dural and thanking the man who gave it to me. I remember twilight sleeping. I don't remember dilating. I do remember watching Saved By The Bell and the doctor made the TV go off so I could push. At some point, my Mom arrived... I remember instructing Jeff to tackle the doctor if he tried to cut me. Then... and then, there was my baby girl. She sounded like a little kitten screetching... It was an awesome noise. I could not believe I just gave birth. The poor thing was not named until 24 hours after she was born. I won all naming rights. I'm pretty sure my up-chuck fest was what gave me the extra voting privileges for her name. Or maybe my husband was still so in awe of the miracle of birth he was on cloud nine... Or it could have been the fact he wanted out of the hospital and they would not discharge us until she had a name. Probably a combination of factors.
But, there was no anxious feelings, no paranoia. I gave birth and my child was coming home with me. We did not need to wait 72 hours for termination of rights. No one cared if my house passed a home study. Apparently, passing from my womb exempted all that. Amazing all the hoops we had to jump for Connor, and equally amazing that no one makes natural parents have to do any of that.
Calista, I wish I had a better birth story for you. But, the best part of your story is, you are a miracle that we never knew was possible. You are the best surprise for all of us, Mommy, Daddy and Connor. But, I think you coming to our family was no surprise to Connor. Daddy and I think you guys plotted this while in heaven with the angels. Already before you were born you two were thick as thieves. I am so blessed to be your Mother; you are the most beautiful little girl, I have met. Then again I am biased, I'm your Mom.
| 1 week old |
![]() |
| 6 months |
| 1 year |
| Happy (almost) Birthday to My Little Hippy Girl! |

No comments:
Post a Comment