Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Typical Day In the Life

I work from home. When people find this out, I hear comments like "You are so lucky!"  and "the kids get to stay with you?!"  and "Wow, there is no way I could get ANY work done with my kids around" or "So, you just work in your slippers?"  also, "So, you really don't work. You just log into a computer and watch cartoons with your kids all day." 

Ok, there is a little bit of truth in all those comments.  Before I respond, let me map out a typical "work" day for you.... (child #1 is typically Connor, but today it was Calista- so you never know who wakes up first....)

6:59am - Alarm goes off- I ignore it

7:05am - Snooze alarm rings, I want to ignore it, but I most likely here one of the kids up as well.  Could be CC saying "Paw-Paw, Da-Da" over and over again, or Connor singing the Diego theme song, "Diego, Deee-aaaaa-go, Go Digo, GOOOOO!!!"   I get up, get showered and dressed (no PJ's to work for me, also no makeup or blown dry hair.  My work uniform is very similar to what I wear for yoga.).

7:20am - Get up child #1 and #2 (if awake) If it's Connor, minor fight ensues as I extract him from a (most likely poopy) pull-up, put on big boy undies, REMIND HIM he's in big boy undies, let him pet the cats, wonder around the potty (which he refuses to use) and he starts into his typical "I'm 2 and 1/2 years old" day. And Connor must "do" lots of stuff. Then he likes to run to CC's room, wake her up and let the crazy-kids day begin. ugh.  Already exhausted 20 minutes and and still no coffee.

Child #1 and I go downstairs, we let out the dogs. Child #1, sits on couch to watch cartoons. I begin breakfast, then check that the computer is booting up (thanks to a setting in the  BIOS, it self-boots at 7:30am Monday - Friday), while I go upstairs to get child #2. Connor helps me feed the dogs and give them their joint medicine.

7:55am - Ensure I am logged into work computer (3 sign ins- 3 passwords to open up 4 programs), and have breakfast and 2 kids ready to eat at the table. I ponder what we are having for dinner.

8:00am - Kids are eating and watching Curious George (I know bad Mom).  I am logged into my PC and begin checking emails and such. Begin to sip coffee which is still hot.

8:30am- Kids join me in the office.  They are stuck in "baby jail" (aka 2 play yards put together) to play and watch all the Nick Jr they can absorb until 9:30am.  I have been known to sit at my desk, answer calls, and draw with Connor.  Thank God I can multi-task.

Between 8:30 and 9:30 - I usually take a break to deal with CC's first poopy diaper of the day.  Some days she even does her morning nap.  But, during this hour, I work and play referee to the kids to make sure everyone plays nice (they don't) and that everyone is happy (typically someone is in tears at some point). Oh, AND I am still doing my JOB answering calls, emails, etc.

9:30am- Help arrives!!!!  Pawn off Connor to sitter who comes to the house.  They play and I get to focus more on work stuff.

Between 9:30am and 1:30pm, Connor talks to me down the hallway (I hear "Momma,MMOOMMAAA!!!" Me: "yes Connor?" Comor: "Hi, Momma!" -- rinse and repeat for 4 hours. He visits me after every potty break (whispering to tell me his success so we can still high 5).  I hear CC and him play, cry, fight, get placed in time out, etc all while I work.  I really never miss a moment, but only intervene when necessary.  And I have been known to stop in my living room for 5 min to chat during a potty or coffee break.

By 10:30am, my coffee is cold and 1/2 drank.

1:30pm- I sign out for lunch.  I get Connor into nap, and CC into nap.  Then I have about 30minutes of either quiet for me to eat or 30minutes of returning back to Connor's room to put him back in his bed/change poopy pull-up#2, etc.

4pm- CC wakes from her nap.  She comes back into baby jail to hang- she enjoys her quiet playtime and snack time. I still ponder dinner and check on All Recipes for ideas.

5pm- I get to log-off and Connor is awake, and ready to go.

5pm until 6:30pm- Comedy ensues as Connor and CC act like complete toddlers and I try to cook dinner. 

So, during all this, I take calls all day.  Before I switched to 1 product line, I'd take about 50 calls a day, now it's closer 25. Some quick fixes - maybe a 2 minute call, or complete system meltdowns - typically a 2+hour call.  I never know who my next caller will be.  Plus, I do emails and help co-workers, design documents, etc - normal work stuff. But, lucky for me, my normal work day includes all the hectic craziness of being a Mommy, extra hugs, and kisses and kid visits through out my day.

My boss has commented how much calmer I am since the kids were born.  I think the kids keep me more grounded and make me less cranky - crazy huh?  With as busy as my normal work day is, I feel like it's easier now.  I get to see my kids, and they rejuvenate me when I am drained after a call.  When they are in the office with me, I am happier and nicer.  Why? Because if I have a "cranky caller,"  all I have to do is look at them.  Those 2 are always doing something funny, they make me laugh and defuse my frustration.  The kids allow me to take a second and step back and be nice.  I am nicer since they have joined my office.  My customers will hear them in the background and their demeanor changes.  Customers who are ready to fly off the handle, take a second - I think they think of their own kids- they calm down and we have a nice conversation.  It's amazing how these 2 little people can make me feel so stressed, yet they can relax me just as quickly.

I am blessed to have a job that allows me to work from home.  I am blessed to have co-workers and customers who are fine with hearing the crazy kids in the back ground.  I'm not sure I am ready to ever return to a real "office" setting.  If I did, that means I'd have to use my blow dryer and use makeup.  Oh, and I be I'd be a lot crabbier, cuz my attitude adjusters named CC and Connor weren't there.

Even though it's hectic and crazy....Let me respond to the initial questions..
"You are so lucky!" Yes, I am, and I am very good at my job (or jobs).

"The kids get to stay with you?!" Yes, the hang in baby jail and play while Mommy works, RIGHT THERE.

"Wow, there is no way I could get ANY work done with my kids around" I get plenty of work done and my utilization reports show I am really working! I don't just sit around slacking off looking at Facebook and paying bills.  Really, I don't.

"So, you just work in your slippers?" Yes, I do and I get a new pair every year :)

"So, you really don't work. You just log into a computer and watch cartoons with your kids all day." Nope, I work-work, do Mom-work, do house-work, etc all while ensuring I do my REAL JOB.  When you take a minute to go get your coffee, or swing by a co-workers desk to BS - I don't.  I don't have that "downtime."  But, I might toss in a load of laundry or change a diaper.  YES- I do work and I like my work, and I like my co-workers and my office mates - CC, Connor, Magnum and Higgins.  I am good at my job, and I do enjoy it.  My real co-workers are fun too- they also work from home (there is about 8 of us).  So what?  I don't go into an office or have to fight traffic.  I'm lucky.  The worst thing I can expect on my commute is stepping on a hairball, or finding a "jack-knifed" cat on my stairs.  Nope, I'm lucky, I'm focused, I have a good work ethic and thank GOD I know how to multi-task!

Just another day in baby jail the office

Me at work in my old office (at our old house)- I rock the headset, don't I?!

No comments:

Post a Comment