Case Study #1:
Let's set the scene. Many moons ago, my job was to travel around the USA training people how to use our product. I found myself away from home 3 to 5 days a week. Typically flying our Monday morning, flying home Thursday evening or Friday afternoon. Before you could blink an eye, I was a Diamond Hilton Member and a Delta Gold flyer. Upgrades galore. Nothing like seeing this "mighty" business man get bumped to the general seating, while mighty Kim got bumped to First Class. Yes, First Class rocks. Once you taste it, you never ever want to sit where there is a middle seat.
Anyway, so, one Friday Morning, I found myself bumped to first class on a flight from Cincinnati to Salt Lake City, then from Salt Lake to Yorba Linda, CA. I settled in my seat, with my DVD player, as a nice older gentleman with a soft British accent sat next to me. He pulled out Guitar Tech magazine, I decided to cue up the movie 'Almost Famous.' After our breakfast, and hot towels, the nice man fell asleep, and I had to visit the potty. Gently, I stepped over him without waking him. On the way back, as I stepped over him, mid-straddling over him, his eyes FLEW OPEN. Yeah, I was a hair embarrassed, he smiled and welcomed me back to my seat.
The rest of the flight was normal, Almost Famous ended, so I then popped in the movie, Rockstar (yum Marky- Mark!), then our flight landed. As we prepared to disembark, he handed me my carry on (super nice!), and some lady asked for my seat mates autograph. (????) Stating something about her daughter loving him (??? is this a guy from Barney or something?). Well, now I had to stalk him. As I followed him through the Salt Lake airport I noticed his jacket stated, "Never trust a hippy." Weird.... My mind was flying - what musician lives in Cincinnati? Who could it be?!
After 2 days. I found out. I felt dumb, and wished I also had asked for an autograph. Ever hear of a little song titled 'Show Me The Way' or 'Do You Feel Like We Do.' Ever hear of an album called Frampton Comes Alive? Yep, for 4 hours, I sat next to Peter Frampton watching Almost Famous (he was in the credits as a technical advisor) and then watching RockStar, him reading Guitar Tech magazine? Oh the irony. And I was simply oblivious.
Then:
Case Study #2:
Jeff and I were on our way to New York to visit his sister. As we boarded our ComAir 'mini-plane' - we realized we were surrounded by musician types. Now, we are not cool enough to keep up with people who play at all the venues here in Cincinnati, so they WHOLE 2 hourish flight we kept trying to guess who these people were. Seemed to be lots of band people, and this little troll petite girl, who looked a little "road hard and put away wet" as they say. She seemed pissed at this guy next to her.
After the flight, I went to the bathroom, as did troll unknown music lady. She was on her cell phone talking to her therapist about how the guy with her was not supporting her, blah, blah (FYI- PLEASE never call me while you are GOING to the bathroom- I don't want to hear that!!!). I exited and Jeff and I stood there still trying to figure it all out. Eventually, we found ourselves curbside, waiting for our brother in law to pick us up. Next to us were the "band" guys. Being me, I struck up a conversation. Turns out, they were part of the "new" Blackhearts. I said, "Oh how cool! I just watched the VH-1 behind the music on you guys." Then not missing a beat I went (without thinking), "oh wait, no it wasn't Joan Jett, it was Pat Benetar's behind the music- my bad." Their response "it happens all the time."
So, the troll petite music lady was Joan Jett. I'm gonna guess she looks better on stage than at 7am post gig.
Then:
Now:
So, yes, that pretty well explains a "Pulling a Kim." I am so glad I wasted all that time reading People Magazine and Rolling Stone, obviously it never paid off.




No comments:
Post a Comment