We (as in Jeff and Kim) celebrate Valentines. A nice dinner, maybe some drinks, adult conversation, etc. Pre July 2008, we would have had a night such as that. But, then came this little delightful boy who turned our world on it's ear, soon after, his baby sister took up residence in my uterus. I remember our first Valentine's day as a family.
Connor had on these cute little Carter's PJ's, and we had his hair all slicked back a la Guido. That was the day he REALLY sat up on his own. He was able to go from belly to seated, it was so cool.
I remember going to my computer to post some pictures, when I saw a very out of the order email. It was from my friend. You could feel the frantic fear in her email. Her little (probably younger is more appropriate) sister was 25ish weeks pregnant. Total worst fear known to any expecting lady, things went from bad to worse and they had to deliver the baby NOW- to save Momma and Baby.
Dramatic, yep, terrifying, yep, me reading that message at 14 weeks PG - EXTREMELY terrifying. We prayed and prayed and prayed. After lots of ups and downs, baby and Momma pulled though. Baby E will be celebrating her 2nd birthday - she is simply a doll.
So, that was our first family Valentines - a little too much drama for us. So, Valentine's 2010. We arranged for the kids to go to my in laws so Jeff and I could get a little Jeff and Kim time. As we were beginning to descend our stairs, Connor escaped our grasp and went head over tea kettle down our flight of stairs. He landed in a heap on the floor. Talk about a moment when instincts take over. Connor was wailing as Jeff scooped him up, I checked for any obvious deformities, bumps, bruises, etc. He was fine, but we were all shaken up. So, scary. I was ready to cancel our reservations and everything. But, we kept our plans and he went to his Mammy and Paw-Paws to play. Connor ended up being fine and we had a nice evening. The next day, I took some Valentine's pictures of CC in those same Carter's PJ's that Connor wore the year before.
As you can tell our last 2 Valentine's were surrounded by a little drama. All previous Valentine's were your typical romantic dinners, sweet cards, flowers for me and a nice cold 12 pack for Jeff (see I speak the language of male romance). Back in college it would consist of a "mix tape," a candle, Zima, and hitting the bars around 11pm. But, now, as a Mom of two, and a wife of over 10 years, we are doing something a lot more low key. Connor is going to help me make a pizza for dinner and a salad. I'll still have my romantic cold beer for Jeff, but real life is getting in the way. CC has her 18 mo appointment this afternoon, and poor Higgins the dog is acting like he has an ear infection - he has an appointment this evening. While we have no plans of a romantic dinner and dancing, I'm better the romance will be there. I bet we still have a nice (an noisy) family dinner that will end with us eventually doing a little kitchen dancing as we load the dishwasher.
Is this the Hallmark definition of romance, probably not, but it works for us. So, hope you all enjoy your romantic love day as you see fit. Some of us will celebrate the birth of a little miracle girl, some will have strawberries and champagne, for me I'm hoping some paper hearts and kitchen dancing are in my future. (Also, I am really hoping for no vaccine reaction for a poor little girl who gets a shot today :( poor CC).
Happy Valentines! May you show the ones you love that you LOVE them today and EVERYDAY!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment