Deers Visiting my Front Yard - before they got REALLY "Friendly"
-Pope Benedict XVI
I love George Bailey. I love that old Savings and Loan. I love Bedford Falls. It's a Wonderful Life is near synonymous with Christmas for me. I remember when I first REALLY watched that movie - 1989, when I was a freshman in high school. My religion teacher made me watch and write a paper on It's Wonderful Life, Scrooged and something else. But, It's a Wonderful Life made a HUGE impact on my life. Really, it did. An old black and white movie, with scratchy audio tape. Perfect- movie.
I love how George feels so down in the dumps, he loses his way and feels as if he's lost himself. God knows, I have felt that way. But, the magic of that little Angel Clarence, to show him how truly blessed he his, and how he has truly touched so many other lives. Many of us forget that. We focus on the negative, ready to criticize, ready to blame someone else for our failing and troubles. Never wanting to look inward and see, that really it's US we need to re-evaluate.
Most of you know, I've been "involved" with a group of ladies online. It started with joining a group for infertility support. I posted here and there, but never really felt as if I fit in. I never felt like I had enough negative IVF's or IUI's to properly fit in. So, I did read a lot of stories, but hardly posted. I just never felt like I "put in my time" in the infertile world. While I was reading and following other peoples stories, one lady always stuck out to me. She was strong, opinionated, and really wasn't scared to say the infertility sucked, IVF sucked and etc. I felt as if she empowered me to stop putting on my happy face and let me really tell people how hard it all was. I remember reading she was moving onto international adoption. That was probably the first time the word adoption ever crossed my mind as an option.
A few months passed, I had my cycle that resulted in the mis-carriage and was feeling low. I remember still reading the forum posts. This lady posted a picture. The picture showed the cutest little girl, sitting in this little tiny red and gold chair. This lady had learned she had been matched and this little girl was her daughter. Her daughter was waiting many miles away to meet her forever family. My friend and her husband still had to complete paper work. But what a catalyst to finsih up the hoops involved with adoption- a picture of this litte girl! Instantly after reading her post I felt two things - jealously and HOPE. MY God, I had a glimmer of HOPE. If it could happen for her - why not me?
Soon after, their little girl traveled to meet Mommy and Daddy. They adopted that little girl and they became a family. Grant it, I have never "met" the Mom or her daughter, I can tell you - that little girl is full of spunk, love, enegery and all things good - just like her Momma. They just celebrated their 3rd Family Day - really how cool is that?
It was Christmas time 2007, I put my note in my Bible praying to God to bless us with a child. And then came Connor :) And that lady was in my corner, as happy as any "real life" friend- congratulating me on my son, as we had both moved to the Adoption forum on our online group. :)
Like George Bailey, I felt down and out. But, hope and friendship brought me back. Ok, so it was an odd online friendship that a few of us ladies understand. But she is a friend, as are many of my other online ladies :) [Shout out to the PJ Ladies - you know who you are! Thanks for being there and dealing with my poor grammar/spelling/typing, etc on my posts]
Just feeling a little reflective because it really IS a Wonderful Life. It's up to each of us to see past the crap and pissy-ness of things. Look for the joy in the moment, try to think of the positive, try to remember you are not alone. You have friends - real life ones and maybe even some online. I bet they are in your corner.
So congrats to my friend, her husband and daughter on their 3rd family day. The really awesome part about this family is, they are expecting a second little girl next year. Due date, April Fools Day - as the Universe has a great sense of humor for this family :)
yay for said family and for yours too! and for all the PJ girls.
ReplyDeleteand bill LOVES that movie too.. i had never actually watched it until we met. now his favorite line is:
"why do we have to have all these kids?"
(and like george, he always comes around).
Jen- very funny about Bill :)
ReplyDeleteI just thought the PJ girls could use a shout out! Thanks again for all you do for us!!! :)
Always felt the same way about R! Great post! We are all connected for life and that is awesome! Thanks for a great read.
ReplyDelete