Monday, August 30, 2010

The Times, They Are-A Changin.....

CC- making a funny face. I call it her- "GIVE ME MY BOTTLE" face...

I've been doing this "motherhood" gig for about 2 years now. 25months, 16ish days. But, who is counting? I've been peed on, poo'ed on, barfed on, bled on, smacked, bit, hairpulled, stepped on, kissed, hugged, cried on, and called Mooo-ma. All by 1 little man who loves me to pieces. He does, I can tell. However, I can feel in the air something is going to change...


Like at 8months old, all of a sudden he became a crawling, standing, tooth cutting maniac. Now, at 25 months- we are experiencing another big turn.


1. He deemed diaper wearing optional


2. He pee'd in the potty (and was bribed with M&M's- which means he had his first taste of CANDY)


3. He escaped his crib



Three major milestones all in the span of a week. Yeah, although we are not pursuing this potty training, if he wants to sit and try, I am all for it. Do potty training books go against this? I have no idea. This is Connor lead training for now. I figured we'd discuss this next spring, but who knows, we might be trying now.


I think I convinced him to wear his diaper, I used the ole Elsie Kennedy "CA-CA" trick. Even though if you ask Connor, "Do we touch our diaper?" He will respond, "No, Cha-Cha." Cha-Cha, Ca-Ca, he's close enough. But, that has helped a little, as periodically he still enjoys undoing his diaper tabs and periodically touching inside. One of the worst phrases he utters is, "Poo, Mommy, POO!" Then you hope to God said poo is still contained in diaper, or else it's on someone's finger who is admiring it, just as I admire a nice draft beer. Ugh.


The great crib escape. Imagine my surprise when I was watching the baby monitor, and I just felt it in my bones something was a-miss (looks like my Spidey Sense/ Mommy sense has arrived). Then via the monitor I heard a "beep." The beep was his fan being turned off. Only way to turn that off is to physically turn it OFF. I went upstairs and there he was, standing in the middle of his room, like a deer in the head lights, caught, out of bed, I could see it in his face. His look said, "Oh, crap....." However, turning a page from my Super Nanny handbook, I calmly placed him back in his crib, and I suggested he lay down and nap. And he did. AMAZING. I then proceeded to inquire on solutions of our crib breach. Right now, plan a is working. Plan A was - tell him he'd get hurt if he climbed out. So, as I watched his throw his leg over his crib I went, "Nooo!!! You get B00-b00!" He looked at me like, "Whoa, I don't want a boo-boo, I better stay put." Much to my surprise, he has not breached the crib again (it's been 3 days so, who knows). If he makes it a habit, we will be doing plan B- which is placing his mattress on the floor. Then it's too low for him to reach his leg over. Yes, we could discuss big boy bed, but honestly, I like my sleep. I'm not ready for a little escaper to scream and be up all hours of the night. Right now I have a BIGGER fish to fry.


And that fish, is a little girl called "Ceese-a-roni." Yes, she is on my radar. Now, being age 1 and 2.5 weeks, she has been weened off formula, and next up is a bottle free world. Unbeknownst to me, She LOVES her BOTTLES. I had no idea. Connor was cake, bottle, sippy cup he just wanted milk. He did not care of how he got milk, he just wanted it.


CC, she wants her BOTTLE. I thought we'd start with weening the evening bottle to sippy cup. She already uses sippy cup for juice and occasionally sips of milk. Sippy cup 1, she screamed. So I tried another one, she cried and threw herself to the floor - full out tantrum. It was amusing, but I felt bad. And then I did a bad thing, gave her the bottle. CC was happy. huh. She showed me. We still have some work to do on that sippy cup and milk concept. But, she will not win. Her transition date is Oct 1. On Oct 1 all bottles are GONE. I am hoping in 2 weeks she'll be free. This morning (much to her displeasure), I passed on her bottle and went with straw sippy, she still freaked/cried/flopped about, but she used it. Ate breakfast and got some milk. It was only a 1/4 of what she normally gets, but she used the cup and NO BOTTLE. I think we both won a little this morning. For a compromise, we can do an evening bottle. Maybe.


So, yes, the times, they are a changin....

No comments:

Post a Comment