Thursday, January 12, 2012

Watchman Doon

Sweetest, Kindest Doberman Ever
Since we lost our beloved Magnum in September, there has been a change in our loving little Higgins.  For a few months, he seemed as lost as we were.  We all missed Mags so very much, Connor and I would go look for Magnum in the stars and the sky; while Higgins wondered around hoping his friend would return.  I think the only living things in our house unaffected by Mags passing were the stupid cats and oblivious fish.  But, for us humans and Higgins, we still have a little hole in our heart.

In the months since we have lost Magnum, Higgins has made a huge shift.  Magnum was always our alpha dog.  But, never in an aggressive or mean way, it just was the pack order.  Now, Higgins has stepped into the role of Alpha - a job he is taking VERY seriously.

Every night, Higgins has his routine.  First, he bums around with me on the couch.  Then, once we go to bed, HE goes to the gate at the top of the stairs to check on the kids.  Higgins will follow me into Connor's room.  Once I have checked on Connor, Higgins will go up to the bed, point/nudge Connor with his snout and kiss him.  Higgins then leaves the room, trots down the hall to stand in front of CC's door. He looks back at me with this, "What's taking you so long?" look.  We enter CC's room, again he hangs back to let me say goodnight, then he places his head on her bed and sniffs her.  Her bed is tall, so it's hard for him to reach to kiss or nudge her. He then leaves the room, noses the gate open and lays down in his dog bed.  Higgins would prefer to sleep IN our bed.  Jeff and I tried, but two adults plus a 100+pound dog, that sleeps horizontally, equals not much room for anyone BUT the 100+ pound dober-baby.

Besides bedtime, Higgins is always watching and warning us of any predators.  Some days the predator may be a leaf blowing oddly in the yard, or a neighbor with their dog, or it may be a speck of dust in the air. But, our Alpha is ready to warn his family of the danger.  One thing is does have a "special" warning for is deer.  He is fascinated with deer. Higgins uses this soft, chirping bark that alerts me, but is too soft to scare the deer.  He will stand and just observe the deer. Always on alert, ready to fend off predators from his family.

So, I have started calling him my Watchman.  He's more human and canine, hence Watchman, and not watchdog.  He now spends most days in the office with me, looking out the window (when he's not napping).  He tries to play with the kids- Connor love it, and poor Calista, well she still gets knocked down a lot by Higgins.  Higgins still chases our cats, but at night they all live in harmony as the cats sleep in our bedroom too.

Jeff and I have debated if Higgins wants a friend.  I think he misses a little part of canine companionship; that I cannot give him.  I am just not sure he wants to share his family with another day.  It's very clear, we are his family and he is our Doon.  (Doon is what Connor and CC call him) 

No comments:

Post a Comment