Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Birthday Eve

Yep, today is my Birthday Eve. I know, it SHOULD be a national holiday....alas, it's not.  So, we are all stuck working. Blah.  This morning, I woke up early with Connor.  I had one of those moments of, I cannot believe I am going to be 37 tomorrow.  37...looks like I'll be in my late thirties come tomorrow.  I was about to embark on a small pity party, as I was checking some random Facebook statuses.  My husband's status popped up.  Then, I said a small prayer of thanks and a quick hello to an friend who is spending his birthday in heaven.  Thanks to Jeff for that little perspective change I needed.

Jeff worked side by side with D for years working on cars, listening to talk radio, debating the issues, and just being guys. When Jeff started at the shop, we quickly realized that D's birthday was the day before mine.  D and I would tease a little about how great January birthday's were and how much it sucked that poor Jeff has D's birthday, then mine back to back.  However, the godsent was D's birthday was a reminder that MINE was the next day.  Before kids, I would try to sneak up to the shop and drop off some sweets to celebrate the guys birthdays at Jeff's shop. It was so easy to remember D's- as it was on my Birthday Eve.   And if you remember my story to becoming a parent, it was D who brought Jeff and I a can of Ovaltine for our first IVF - as a hopeful prayer that we would have that perfect "ovaltine" kinda kid. 

D passed away last May, at the way too young age of 41.  Behind he left a wife, daughter,  mother, brothers, sisters, many friends, and his lovely puppy - Dude. You can imagine how heart wrenching it all was, it was horrible.  He is missed everyday by all those people. 

Today, reading Jeff's status...reminded me to just be thankful I am having a birthday and that I am still on this Earth able to hug, touch and love my family and friends. I imagine that D would love to have just one more day- I know his family and friends wish that.

So, for D- Happy Birthday -- you are missed by so many, you will never be forgotten.  You will always be my almost birthday buddy- I will think of you forever on my birthday eve.  Here's hoping you are have a nice steak and glass of red wine in heaven, and riding your dream Harley.  I'm going to find a nice bottle of that lovely $9 Rosso you turned me onto, and pour a glass for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment