Monday, January 17, 2011

Come on Blog Lady- BLOG


OK this picture is like 4 years old - before my "pooch" formed and back when I still highlighted my hair...

"Come on Lady Blog something new!" That is exactly what I think when I do my daily blog check on the blogs I read.

Not updated since last week? Ugh come on, make me laugh, amuse me, entertain me. Jeeze... I can only work sooooo many hours.... PLEASE I need a mental health break!
Then I thought, do people check this looking for an update? Another pearl of wisdom? Looking for another CC/Connor story.... Maybe... But, who would? I'm not that interesting! But apparently people do (or at least my 2 followers, my Mom and I force Jeff to read my blog - DO read-- so that's like 4 people read me! Whoo-Hoo! )

Ugh, I have blog-block.  Not sure if that is a real ailment, but I have it.  It is accompanied by a runny nose, watery eyes, general feeling of having a cold, and realizing that parenting is hard and not always glamorous.  Really, it's not. When you find yourself up to your elbows in poo or vomit - even if you are wearing sequins- the glamour is gone.
 
So on this tangent - does Angelina deal with her kids when they create poo art or vomit galore? Or is that a nanny's job?  Does she deal with middle of the night terrors - or is she too busy filming her next film?  Did Madonna ever find herself amidst a "sprinkler tinkler" when Rocco was a baby?  Or did the Nanny get pee'd on?  Oh how I'd love to know how that other half lives.  Apparently Gwyneth Paltrow has a blog titled "GOOP" and she let it ALLLL hang out on how busy her life is, and she gave some general parenting tips.  Yeah, name one kids after a fruit (Apple) and the other after the guy who parts the Red Sea (Moses)- don't think so Gwenny. PS- singing a duet with Huey Lewis still doesn't make you a singer- please leave all musical aspirations to your hot hubby. Thx-K-Bi 
 
But, this parenting gig is tough.  No IVF, or adoption paperwork ever stopped to note that.  Besides Ovarian hyperstimulation and a possible failed adoption- those I was prepared for - but poo art, night terrors, projectile vomit, etc-- not so much. 
 
I read an article from a friend about how back in the 20's, Cornell University (and others) used to "get" babies from orphanages and use them as part of a cirriculum on how to be a Home Maker. As a student, you'd get your baby, live in special housing and literally play Mom.  It was like the science of home making.  Pretty dang messed up if you ask me.  Here is a snippet from the Cornell website: http://rmc.library.cornell.edu/homeEc/cases/apartments.html
 
Yep, you read it right, this went on until 1969.  Wow, huh? Now, the article I previously read was for a fiction novel based on this fact.  Here is the link for the novel: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400063000/ref=s9_simi_gw_p14_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=0N600SSNCZCA30TGGPWS&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939291&pf_rd_i=507846
 
The concept is beyond disturbing to me. I am sure you are shocked as well - unless you read 'Slackers' facebook link to the book. (I'm using a nick-name to protect the innocent).  Slacker is a fellow online lady and blogger, she's uber smart and posts very interesting reading.  An article pertaining to this topic was one of her blurbs.
 
Bottom line, parenting is hard work.  It's tough for me that after situations, things stick with me. I review them in my head over and over (you know like when you come up with that come back like 2 hours later).  The good thing with reviewing them is I am able to step back, and reassess my actions. Make decisions on how I can react better if this occurs again, or how to prevent it from occurring again. I doubt a course of taking care of an infant could prepare me for what I've encountered.
 
Yeah, this was a pretty boring post. I admit.  But, it was rather educational, right?  I swear next time will be better.... OHHHHHHH and my last post about being Frumpy--- The Jason from that post posted a comment. I guess my link to his site sent him some extra hits.  Really, he was a super nice fellow, but the whole situation was way to funny not to blog about.
 
OK, that's all Peace Out and love to all on this Celebration of MLK day :)

1 comment:

  1. Kim,

    I don't mind the poo or the vomit or the potty training...or hearing endless suggestions on how to parent from others....I hate the discipling. I hate that I am charged with teaching him how to fall asleep alone (don't we search most of our adult lives to find someone to fall asleep with??) and being nice to people we don't like (what IS the point of that??) I hate having to leave Disney because he can't find his listening ears...and screaming is (I guess) no longer acceptable anywhere. Instead of watching to see what amazing thing he is going to do next, I have to worry about making sure no one around is offended that he tells me he "fart in his pants" with the cutest little voice I have EVER heard. The problem with parenting today is that everyone thinks that their opinion is right. While I have some of my own, I find myself asking (more often than I thought I would)...why can't I spoil him, again? I know, I know...because I don't want him to grow into a self indulgent, disrespectful, never-leaving-home man. However, I didn't realize when I told my now ex-husband that I wanted 6 kids that it would be so much responsibility. I guess I just thought my offspring would somehow NOT get my stubborn, independent, I-do attitude...lol. And, I guess God knew...because he has only allowed me one amazing child. ....For now!

    ReplyDelete