Tuesday, March 10, 2009

So, one morning I woke up pregnant



This is me, a lady who has been diagnosed with unexplained infertility since 2002. This is me at 14 weeks pregnant giving my husband the thumbs up.

So, what changed? Well we adopted our son, he was 4 months old when we became pregnant. Did I relax? Did I "stop thinking" about getting PG? The answer is no. What we had to do was pay an absurd amount of money to help fund someones vacation house.... :)

Trust me, Jeff and I stopped focusing on all that for real in 2007. What do I think happened? Honestly, looking back... I think we were unable to get pregnant because Connor was to be our son, until that happened, some higher power put a screeching halt to our fertility. Once Connor was with us, that same higher power got a kick out of us and said, "They can handle 2 kids 13 months apart - let's do it!" Yeah, we must be an interesting sitcom to watch from heaven.

So, look at us, a couple who attempted to defeat infertility via adoption, only to find out we can get pregnant on our own. To say the least we were shocked, but we welcome the surprise!

What's next? Well, I will use this site to keep updates about SeaMonkey. I do not want SeaMonkey to over take Connor's website, so, looks like you might have to check in 2 spots now. Yep, I'm difficult.

The pregnancy has been good so far. I was feeling great until around 7 weeks -- then came the nausea, smells were weird, and I hated all sweet stuff. This all lasted until about 12 weeks. So for 5 weeks, Jeff had to deal with an exhausted wife who only wanted to eat chips and salsa from her favorite Mexican restaurant.

Once 12 weeks hit, I felt so much better, still tired at the evening, but MUCH better. Since week 12, all has been well. We have had 3 ultrasounds and 2 heart rate checks. Everything has checked out really well -- we did have a little concern over the heart rate at first, but that fixed itself. Last check the heart rate was in the 140's - so everything is good. Next big decision is to find out the gender or not.....hmmmm.. still debating that one.

Therefore, that is the update in a nut shell. And no, please do not udder to yourself, "I knew they would get pregnant." Or "All you had to do was adopt." These statements really, really eat at me. I know a full website of wonderful woman who have been fighting with infertility as long or longer than Jeff and I. If all someone needed to do was adopt, every lady on that site should have TONS of biological children. Sadly it does not work that way. We are the minority. We are about 5 of 100 people on that site that this has happened to. So, next time you hear a story like ours, or hear someone having difficultly becoming pregnant-- think twice-- think how many times they have already been told to "relax" or "stop thinking about it" odds are you are the 100th person to tell them that.

OK, off my Soapbox.... But, yep, we are expecting #2 -- how nuts is that? And how far are we now? We are 16weeks and 3 days pregnant :)

6 comments:

  1. It's funny you mention 5 out of 100... I actually read somewhere that the spontaneous conception rate for couples with long-term infertility is about 5%, and that it's the same whether or not the couple has adopted. Yes, I too am a geek about infertility. Infertility sucks, but it can be defeated. Congrats!... for the 100th time. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for you guys!!! I can't wait to meet my new niece or nephew. Not finding out is way more fun but it is hard to wait. I love you already sea monkey and Connor you have my heart forever
    Love, Aunt Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most awesome news since I heard about Connor! I am so excited for you both. I vowed that I would wait to find out the gender, but working on a floor with an ultrasound machine and doctors to read it was so tempting! Let me know if you need anything! Wow! 16 weeks...I cannot wait to see the next little Howell...I wonder if little sea monkey will have as much hair as Connor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Congratulations! What do I say! I am so happy for you guys. Now there will be yet another sweet little baby to visit in Cincinnati!

    Anita Talbott

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATS!!! Bill and I are so happy for you! I'm in favor of not finding out the sex of SeaMonkey. For two reasons.
    1. With all the modern technology, there are very few true surprises left in our world except for this one.
    2. Let SeaMonkey be his/her own being for nine months. SeaMonkey doesn't need a label beyond SeaMonkey. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. And THIS is but one of the reasons I appreciate your friendship so much...

    ReplyDelete