369 days ago Jeff and I were presented with a situation which we never dreamt would ever occur. The day started off simply enough, we decided to skip church and have pajama day. Basically we sat on the couch playing with our new Shrek game. Just being bums hanging out. Around noon, the phone rang, I have to be honest, we were lazy and just let it ring. A bit later (not much maybe 10 minutes) Jeff checked the message, it was his step-mom. We took a break from gaming while he called her back.
I could not make out what he was talking about, I was in the kitchen trying to make a snack. All of a sudden he states, "Dad and Linda went to a Bible study today. A lady at Bible study announced her 18 year old daughter was pregnant and was considering adoption. Linda asked the organizer if she could talk to this woman. And Linda told her our story. The lady asked that we send her daughter a letter about us." Huh. I just kind of stood there dumbfounded. We were talking about cycling again in the spring. Huh, a letter. I knew I had some examples of birth parent letters on the computer, but I wanted this to be very Jeff and Kim. Just very us. So, my head simply began spinning... But what the heck a letter, I can write a letter. Why not? What is the worst thing that will happen?
We received an email the next day on 1-14-08 with a name and address to send it to. May goal was to have this thing written and sent by 1-16-08. We went though many drafts. I had a few readers assist me with editing, but eventually we had a masterpiece (well as close to a masterpiece and as of my writing could be). Our letter was 5 pages with pictures --- I later learned most "Dear Birth Parent" letters are simply 2 pages. LOL-- yeah, but this is me. Lucky for us, we knew the girl's name so I was able to title it directly to her, and not a generic "To Someone Special or Dear Birth Parent." At least titling it directing to her, made it feel more personal. I honestly did write this JUST for her.
I remember even going to the store to find the "perfect" envelope. I did not want to fold the letter, I wanted it perfect. So, I remember debating between 3 different envelops- I choose one. Went home, placed our letter in, and said a prayer.
A couple days later (1-17-- I believe), I received an email from her. We did a few emails, then nothing. But, I wanted to meet her so badly. Really show her who I was and give her an idea of 1/2 of the couple behind the letter. I called her on 1-25 and asked her to lunch. We decided to meet at Brueggler's Bagel. I swear I got read sooooo quickly. I was so excited. What if this actually worked? We might finally be parents!!!
I arrived at the bagel shop and this bouncing, bright girl with beautiful long hair comes in. That was her, I have met Dana. We ordered our bagels, and sat down. We just began chatting, and talking, and talking. She used to do gymnastics until she hurt her back. We just talked about everything and anything. I was so natural and so easy. It seemed right off there is a reason we were supposed to meet.
After we said good-bye, we hugged and said how great it was to meet. I left and went to a local Stamping store (it's across form the Bagel place and I hardly find the time to get there!). At the stamp store my head was spinning even more. I knew I wanted to send her a note, thanking her for meeting with me. So I found a few stamps and ran across one that said, "Adoption is Just Another Word for Love." I debated getting the stamp, but right then and there I did. I figured hopefully I'd use it for us, if not I now have an adoption stamp :)
Later that evening (my Birthday no less!), Jeff took me to a movie. My choice was Juno. Funny thing is I had heard an interview with the writer of the movie in late Nov/ early Dec. So, my interest was peaked - but then Dana RAVED about it. So, I had to see it. I cried, I held Jeff's hand tight and cried. We could be that adoptive couple, that could be us. OMG- THAT COULD BE US!!!!
So, that is what started 369 days ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment