There is a long back story to how I've gotten here, in this moment.
I'm going to do a quick Reader’s Digest version. I’ll begin with the downward
spiral. Well, it wasn't quite that dramatic, but it makes for good
reading when you can make it seem the protagonist, has had some dramatic back
story. However, in this, I am the protagonist and the back story, well
that is my life.
More likely than not, if you are reading, you know me. Many of you really
know me, a few of you know my more perfect Facebook version of me, a few may
know me as a coach of your child, a few of you are in that close inner circle
that truly know that crazy that is Kim. Disclaimer time here: This is me, likely my filter is off, and all
the stories and opinions are my own. If you are squeamish or become
twitterpated with four letter words, you may want to stop here. I am here
to type my truth as I know it. Every few years, I turn these blogs into a
book. A little personal history so my kids can explain to their kids, who
I was. Let us begin....
My Dad passed away in December of 2019, before the word COVID was even a
thing. That hit me a lot harder than I expected. I loved him, he
loved me, Jeff, the kids. All in all, he was a good Paw-Paw. He
instilled his love of fishing with us all. Of course, there is more to
that story, but I'm not ready for a full dive into that.
As we all know in 2020...that was COVID...a very weird time.
Periodically, I would run/walk and do some online lifting with my trainer
friend, Miranda. I was as committed as any semi-committed person could
be. I was unable to visit my Mom in her facility, due to stupid
COVID. In 2020, we lost my Aunt Georgeann, that December her husband, my
Uncle Paul.... and I lost the ability to see my Mom for fear I'd introduce
COVID into the facility. We would talk on the phone, then one day the phone
stopped ringing. Mom had COVID, but survived. I would do window visits,
and eventually in person. But the person I saw was not my Mom. I would go
visit, and she would just stare into space. In the year of COVID, I lost
my Mom. She was alive, but not living, or really interacting. Literally,
a shell of herself. Out of the blue in July 2021, a guardian angel called
me to say, there has been a change, something is not right. Mom and I had
two moments in the end of July when I knew she knew me. The next weeks
were a blur with hospice, having family visit... I just cannot type everything,
yet. Mom passed in August 2021. I was at the lowest of my low. I
wallowed in the low for a bit. [Aside here, Mom now resides on my
bookcase. We talk daily. It’s a HUGE comfort she is with me. I teased
she was gonna be “Mom on a Mantel” like Elf on a Shelf. Likely she hated my humor, with that comparison
(I also considered “Nana on the Nightstand”) but I know I like her just being
here.]
By mid-August, I had two decisions, wallow in the shit or get my act
together. Right at this turning point, I received an email from my friend
and trainer, Miranda. FYI- this is not some push for M or her services,
but this is my story and she (and my group) play a huge role. Miranda was
explaining to me this new program she was starting, a very personal group with
mental training, physical training, check-ins, bi-weekly member meetings,
one-on-one check in and accountability. Not just "fitness" but
the WHOLE person. It's called Transform U.
At this point in my life, I was pushing 200 pounds, eating junk, drinking
more than I should, and just low. The stereotypical drown the pain with
food and alcohol. I was still on
tamoxifen, still fighting the effects of that stupid drug. And I was just
in a funk. I reached out to M, the program was what I needed, but the
price tag was my challenge. I was dealing with all my personal stuff, an
atrocious boss at work, everything was just a clusterfuck, and I was simply
trying to hold it together and survive. I'm sure on Facebook we still
looked like a delightful family and perfect. That was exactly what I was
ready to portray, only Jeff really knew the truth behind the curtain.
The more I considered that "price tag" which was holding me from committing
to TU, the more I realized I pissed that amount away on amazon purchases,
target trips, etc. It was time to put that money to good use.
Finally, it was time to transform. I decided I was worth the investment,
my health needed to be primary. If I invested in me, to be a better Kim,
I could be a better Kim all around. This was for me. Just me.
This change had the ability to impact everyone I love in the best way
possible. I had to. My first journal entry...
August 18, 2021....Step 1- Be accountable.
So, I began. I signed up for a 1/2 Marathon, and wrote out my training
program. I followed my TU group mental challenges, our daily gratitude
journaling, nightly wins, and the very cathartic "write and
burns." I learned quickly that finding gratitude daily was easy but
forgiving yourself for mistakes in the day or negative thoughts was difficult.
Looking yourself in the eye, and telling yourself, "I love you" -
much harder than I anticipated. I worked the program. I wrote
myself a letter on why I decided to do this. My big AH-HA of my letter is
this statement, "Be the example." I want to be the example of what a
strong, healthy, smart woman is. I want my kids to look up to me, I want
to be a good example for the kids I coach. I want to live that life honesty
and integrity.
I decided I was worth it and I needed to fight to be the best Kim I could
be. Step 1- Be Accountable. I started with the 1/2 marathon
training, added in some online lifting classes with M. I began making a
weekly plan and making it happen. I was accountable. Just a little progress
each day. The fitness portion was the easier part for me. The other portion was, be a grown-up. Go to
your 6month Oncologist appointment and call a plastic surgeon and discuss the
foob issues. YOU ARE WORTH IT, now pick
up the phone.
1. At my routine oncology appointment, we weighed the pros and cons of
staying on Tamoxifen. For over 5 years I was on this drug and dealt with
the side effects. Finally, we decided, based on the "calculations" my
recurrence was low, I did my 5 years, and I stopped. The drug. The doc
seemed “doubtful” all the side effects I felt were due to tamoxifen, but more
due to being in my late 40s.
2. I finally made an appointment to get my Foobs examined. Since my
last surgery (2016), I've had problems. Everyone LOVES to tell me how
nice they look. That is great! They are pretty! But they are assholes!!!
No one told me by saving my nipples, the ONLY sensation I would have is
PAIN. Imagine a spiderweb and your nipple is in the middle. Every
time I bent down to tie my shoes, the spiderweb would pull and cause pain. Turn
too far one way, pull. Constant, daily pain. I just dealt with it. Besides
the pain, the stupid nipples were always "ON." I would tease
they always were waving, "Hello" for all to see. The nipples were
just an annoyance. The real issue was my
chest.
My implants were placed under my chest muscle. This is simply how it
was done in 2015/2016. They moved my chest muscle and placed in a giant
implant under it. ANYTIME I used my chest muscle, the muscle would flex,
flatten the implant and create this gross deformed chest. This made me feel less than sexy during
intimate moments. If you watched me get out of a pool, by pushing up with
my arms, you could see the massive defect. Remember, the foobs were
pretty and us cancer girls, well they just do the "Best" they can...I
essentially surrendered to the fact little could be done about that, but I did
know we could possibly fix the nipple issue. I picked up the phone and
made my appointment with Dr. Chin. She was there for my previous surgeries
but was still learning about the microsurgery for performing DIEP flap
reconstructions.
Dr. Chin confirmed we could fix the nipple thing, then asked about my defect
animation (my chest deformity), and said, you know we can fix that. MIND BLOWN.
She explained there are new techniques, and my chest muscle could go back to its
intended position. Then I asked about removing the implants and using some of
my belly fat to use for a DIEP Flap. Let's just say, being short, I don't have
a lot of real estate between my foobs and hips. We discussed a hybrid
DIEP flap. Some of me, and some implant help. SIGN ME UP.
They would call me with a surgery date.
During my first three months of the “Kim is Worth It” journey... I've been
working on mental and physical health, stopped a cancer drug, and decided to
fix the foobs. I cannot lie, I thought this was all a little vain, but I wanted
it.
By December 2021, I had lost about 12 pounds. I worked out regularly,
started cooking more at home, cut out lots of adult beverages... and felt
great. One morning I woke up, and it was the first time since 2016 I did
not feel like the Tinman. Every morning on tamoxifen, I was slow. It was
hard to get up, hard to walk, hard to move. But, that day, everything was
different. And since that day, it's been different. Again, I had no idea
how shitty I felt, until that moment. Everything tamoxifen took away was
back. My joints felt so much better, I felt like a woman again...I saw a
huge glimpse of Kim pre-cancer. It was amazing. I had no idea how shitty
I felt for all those years. I was told, if I wanted to live a longer
life, feeling like shit was my trade off. Talk about quality of
life.
As a cancer survivor I was led to believe, if I wanted to live, I had to
accept things. Daily pain, zero sex drive, painful intimate moments and weight
gain from tamoxifen. I had to accept painful nipples, and a chest that looked
pretty - but did not function properly. I want to live, so I figured that
I would deal with the shit to live. Not ONE doctor told me, this is
temporary. Medicine and technology advanced in six years.... it never
dawned on me to just ask the questions.
Once I decided I was WORTH IT, I started asking. My friend Amy, who I met in
a chemo chair next to mine, told me early on to be my own advocate. I finally
started advocating for myself. I AM WORTH IT, and this was how it started.
No comments:
Post a Comment